Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Damage from Ridiculous Cold Temps in January

1. Back To Top    #1

Damage from Ridiculous Cold Temps in January

Hi All!

Here in NC the weather was below freezing a staggering number of days in a row back in January. I mean, a ridiculous number of days for this area! Our pool was open and thank goodness we had already found you all because you talked me off a cliff about the equipment freezing and causing utter panic and mayhem! Unfortunately, now that it has thawed and we have watched the equipment run for a few weeks there was some kind of slight damage to this liiiiiiiittle piece of pipe near our chlorinator (the tube for the pucks that we no longer use!).

This liiiiiiiiiittle piece drips ever so slightly, and very slowly. Does anyone know how to replace this/where to find the parts to replace this/any other grand ideas I may have missed?

20180218_103322.jpg20180218_103328.jpg
    IG Fiberglass 16x37, 3ft6in-6ft Deep, 13,300 Gallons (540 sq ft), Pentair Sand Dollar Filter, Pentair Superflo Variable Speed Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Damage from Ridiculous Cold Temps in January

So, is the leak at the blue teflon tape joint or the bottom of that cylinder where the drip is. Either way, sounds like you just need to remove the old chlorinator and replace with PVC pipe.
    Keith
    15,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool, 1.5" PVC plumbing
    1.0HP Sta-Rite DuraGlass P2R pump, Hayward S244T sand filter
    Teledyne-Laars Lite-2 250k heater, Hayward CL200 chlorinator
    Polaris 380/Hayward 6060 booster pump

3. Back To Top    #3

As best I can tell the leak is from the very bottom of the black cylinder. You can kind of see a water droplet on the very bottom of it in the second pic.
    IG Fiberglass 16x37, 3ft6in-6ft Deep, 13,300 Gallons (540 sq ft), Pentair Sand Dollar Filter, Pentair Superflo Variable Speed Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I second the ridiculous amount of cold days in a row here. Argh. I swear my equipment isnít acting right either. Iíve been watching it but now thatís itís warmer Iíll be poking around more.

16k Gallon, IG Vinyl, 16 x 34 x 25 Lagoon. Pentair Intelliflo VS2, ScreenLogic 2, Pentair Sand Filter, Colorlogic LEDs, TF-100, Speedstir, Pentair 920 Prowler (Rosie), and all wine is fine.

5. Back To Top    #5

ny

First you have to be sure where the water is originating: if from the blue tape, you just take apart, add a couple extra revolutions of tape, then tighten to spec.

If however, the plastic is cracked., you can repair it w a water-based JB Weld. Make sure all the water is completely removed from the cracked part [hair-dryer], then follow the instructions per JB Weld. It says to let it set for 1 hr, I'd let it set longer, depending on your ambient temps and humidity. If you kept the hair dryer around, you can use it to speed up the curing, but do it in many short intervals, not one long heating session...

Of course, another option is to orde the broken part and replace it, if that is eco-feasible & desired.

Good luck, tstex
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward H400FD 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!