Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommendations for shrubs to plant near pool that don't drop leaves?

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommendations for shrubs to plant near pool that don't drop leaves?

I'm looking for some type of "evergreen" shrubs that I can plant near my pool to replace some bottle brush shrubs that are AWFUL and drop a ton of leaves daily in my pool from fall to spring. I want something that:

1. Stays green year round and doesn't drop any leaves (this is my #1 priority).
    2. Doesn't grow wild.
    3. Can be trimmed regularly.
    4. Look appealing.

We live in South Louisiana, but it does freeze 2-3 times each winter. Typically when it freezes, it gets to about 25-30 degrees, so not too bad.
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin S200 Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommendations for shrubs to plant near pool that don't drop leaves?

It's not a shrub but my wife has quite a few succulents and they seem to meet your requirements
    -Tim-
    Pool: 86 gunite/plaster screened IG 12K 14' X 29', Hayward 120 sq ft cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWCG, Hayward Poolvergnuegen autovac,
    Heat: 280 sq ft Ultrasun solar Panels, Pentair Solartouch Ctrl, (solar cover and reel)
    Tests: Taylor K-2006C & K-1766 w/ speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by BasicTek View Post
    It's not a scrub but my wife has quite a few succulents and they seem to meet your requirements
    I was actually thinking about putting some on the other side of the pool in a rock bed we were doing with a windmill palm as the focal point. Think that would work/look nice?

For the other side, I was looking for something more of an actual bush/shrub.
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin S200 Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

Holly, Boxwood, Yews, Birdsnest Spruce and Indian Hawthorne are a few Iíve had in the past that donít drop leaves.

Pool Built June 2018,
    16x32, 20K, IG vinyl,
    2 speed Jandy Pro Plus Pump, Jandy JS Sand Filter, Jandy Tru-Clear SWG,
    JANDY JXI POOL HEATER/260K BTU, Polaris 280 + Booster, TF 100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I was going to say succulents, too. My winter temps seem about the same as you describe, so far they're surviving and mostly looking "evergreen." Something I can't say about most of my shrubs. I put a lot of them in pots, to create different elevations (and thwart the gophers). The pots add interest and color as well...
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGuy View Post
    I was actually thinking about putting some on the other side of the pool in a rock bed we were doing with a windmill palm as the focal point. Think that would work/look nice?

For the other side, I was looking for something more of an actual bush/shrub.
    If your area has a prevailing wind (most do), put the leafy stuff downwind from the pool, and the succulents and evergreens and palms upwind...

Dont forget lighting! Enjoy your garden at night, too!!
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Many people don’t like them but I do. Yuccas. Yucca filamentosa ‘Color Guard’ has yellow and dark green striped leaves. 2’ tall with 6’ flower stalks. As soon as the flowers start to die, you can cut the stalk to keep the petals out of the pool. Tropical looking but hardy. They will also keep kids out of flower beds because the tips are pointy and get your attention. I have Color Guard elsewhere, and plain Yucca filamentosa near the pool as shown in the picture below.

Link for Color Guard

https://www.gardenerdirect.com/buy-p...sa-Color-Guard

Yucca filamentosa and as already mentioned, boxwood in front of them.

2016-06-21 20.13.22.jpg
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Your yuccas survive the winter or do you cover them? I like this idea.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Yes, no worries regarding yucca in the winter even for your location. They are cold hardy through zone 4a. You're in 6b.
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover

10. Back To Top    #10

How much height do you want? I am thinking about doing Spartan Junipiers.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I planted 13 Spartan junipers in 2015. 5-6í tall when planted. Growth rate seems to be less than 1í per year in 2016 and 2017. Iím good with that.

Next year I will do another set. They are replacing Leyland Cypress (3í per year growth rate) that Iím taking down in batches. The next group are 25í from the waters edge.