Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Landscaping Ideas and Pictures for Houston Texas area

1. Back To Top    #1

Landscaping Ideas and Pictures for Houston Texas area

I would love to add some tropical shrubs to my backyard landscaping. I have electrical line running behind my house so I don't want them to be too tall but still add some tropical feel. Easy maintenance around the pool would be nice. Any recommendation is very much appreciated. Thank you.
    39x16 Geometric inground pool with spa, area 690 sf, 3.5/5/4ft. Hayward equipments (variable speed pump 2HP for pool, 2HP for water features, cartridge filter, H400 Heater, SWCG). 2 main drains/8 returns/2 skimmers. Polaris 280 w/booster pump. 3 pool, 1 spa color LED lights. Stonescapes Aqua White mini pebbles and travertine coping and spray sun deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Landscaping Ideas and Pictures for Houston Texas area

Quote Originally Posted by kresta2001 View Post
    I would love to add some tropical shrubs to my backyard landscaping. I have electrical line running behind my house so I don't want them to be too tall but still add some tropical feel. Easy maintenance around the pool would be nice. Any recommendation is very much appreciated. Thank you.
    I am in Little Rock and for several years I use elephant ears, iris, monkey grass, and various banana trees. You are lucky being in Houston as you can grow a greater variety of banana trees and palm trees.

I would also check out this site for cold weather tropicals
    https://www.plantdelights.com/collections/exotic-plant-cold-hardy-tropical-plants-for-sale?page=1

3. Back To Top    #3

Local nurseries will really give you the best information on sustainable flora for your climate. Many will even do a basic layout for you with different plant types and waive the design fee if you buy from them. I had a landscaper plant Queen palms near my pool for a green/exotic look and, honestly, I hate them. They are the wrong palms for my soil and climate and they just get hammered every winter. Stay away from plants that are not recommended for your USDA Heartiness zone and soil type or else you’ll spend lots of time trying to make a plant grow where it doesn’t want to.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Have done some zone pushing for experimenting but it isn't good for long term gardening. I wish I had the climate for Queen Palms but they wouldn't do much better here. I am in zone 8 and Houston is zone 9a which really opens possibilities. Also bamboo IN CONTAINERS really create a tropical feel. There are losts of options for your location better than I have.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the information. Bamboo sounds interesting.
    39x16 Geometric inground pool with spa, area 690 sf, 3.5/5/4ft. Hayward equipments (variable speed pump 2HP for pool, 2HP for water features, cartridge filter, H400 Heater, SWCG). 2 main drains/8 returns/2 skimmers. Polaris 280 w/booster pump. 3 pool, 1 spa color LED lights. Stonescapes Aqua White mini pebbles and travertine coping and spray sun deck.