Researching new Wet Edge install; Wet Edge rep recommended Orenda SC-1000 on start

bbrock

Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’ve been researching and learning as much as possible during this time prior to resurfacing with a Wet Edge product (probably Primera Stone; possibly Satin Matrix).

I called Wet Edge and spoke with Lora, one of the reps there. She recommends using the metal sequesterant Orenda SC-1000 at startup.

I have never tested for metals, but my return coming from the ground to my Maxflo VSP is copper and outlet going into the ground is copper. I’ve seen the original build pics as they have been passed from owner to owner and I also know I have ABS lines in the ground as well. There is some staining on the old plaster, but I never bothered with it b/c I knew it needed a resurface someday and it doesn’t bother me enough.

But, with a new surface planned, does Lora’s recommendation have substance? Is it necessary to test for metals? Necessary to use this Orenda as a proactive treatment so to speak?
SC-1000 Scale Metal Control | Specialty Pool Chemicals | Orenda Products

Scale control on startup is a common chemical additive as you do not want fresh plaster to get a white chalkiness to it from high pH and calcium scale. So using the metal sequestrant (calcium is a metal) helps. It’s cheap insurance and you should follow whatever their startup procedure is to ensure any warranty compliance.

The copper pipes could be gotten rid of IF that’s reasonable but copper is actually not a huge issue as long as you keep your water balanced and the pH in the right range. Copper is typically degraded by low pH and so you want to avoid adding any kind of acidic chemical in a way that would cause a large concentration of it to see the copper pipe. So, for example, you don’t want to put trichlor tablets in the skimmer and suck lots of highly chlorinated and acidic water into the plumbing. But, floating trichlor tablets in a chemical floater out in the main pool volume would be fine.

Hi Mat, and TFPers. So, the WetEdge and Burkett's startup instructions state that they recommend using a metal sequesterant agent at startup. In fact, my contract has Burkett's, the contractor, doing the initial complimentary startup to check ph, TA, Ch, and add the sequesterant. However, they recommend the following regarding sequesterant:
The ongoing use of a Sequestering agent is recommended for stain and scale prevention. Staining and scale are not covered in the product warranty. Follow manufacturer’s instruction on a weekly basis. A sequestering agent groups metals/minerals together so they can precipitate and be captured by the filter. The agent is expended at varying rates depending on several variables.

When I have searched on TFP, I have read problems members have had with the ongoing use of a sequesterant such as Orenda. I came across reports that their FC was adversely affected and would be used up and would regularly read low. I came to the conclusion that ongoing use of it would be more problematic than not. Any contrary opinions?

If your fill water is free of metals (iron mostly) then the consistent use of a sequestering agent is unnecessary. Their description of what a sequestering does is wrong. If you manage your water properly and keep the pH/TA/CH in ranges that promote a slightly negative saturation index, then calcium scaling will not occur.

Their recommendation for the use of a scale inhibitor is simply a band-aid to help people cover up shoddy pool water chemistry care as most pool owners don’t have the slightest clue as to what they are doing. Since their warranty doesn’t cover scale (which is convenient because they will blame their poor plastering workmanship on “scale” and “pool owner negligence”), they are simply pulling a C-Y-A (not cyanuric acid) to protect themselves from warranty claims.

Depending on the sequestrant chemistry, some types react with and neutralize chlorine. Others are simply degraded by chlorine oxidation and result in the build up of phosphates in the pool water. So, if your pool water doesn’t need a sequestering agent (no iron), then you should not add it as a regular chemical addition. Just maintain the correct CSI and you will not get scale.

However, you have to balance the above against their warranty claims and restrictions. If you value their warranty (and I personally consider most contractor warranties worthless), then you do what they tell you to do....

Howdy, neighbor.

I also have a Wet Edge surface and always thought their instructions to add sequestrant weekly were just crazy.

I dumped in a bottle of Leslie's sequestrant at fill time (April of this year) and not since then and have had no issues. I did replace my leaky copper pipes with PVC at the same time, though.

You can easily find Livermore's water quality report on the web. No lead, no copper, but it's mum on iron.

Thanks you all for the replies.

Did a full test of my pool water this morning. Went to the pool store to see how their results coincide with mine, and to get them to test for iron and copper. Well, their #s are much different on pH, FC, TA, and CA. For one thing, they do not use a speedstir and their lighting is poor. I trust my numbers. Mostly, I wanted to see if there were medals in my pool water in my tapwater. Fortunately, both pool and tap water are negative for iron and copper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.