Calcium Hardness

Feb 26, 2015
Surprise, Az
Hi guys, I seem to have really hard water, after doing a partial drain and getting my water retested. It seems to have gone up. So I'm going to get my house water tested. But living in AZ we generally have hard water. Is there anything besides finding a company to bring water to me that i can do to lower my calcium.

Thank you

Hard water? ..... Surprise! Get it? Yeah, I know. Kind of a lame joke. :joker: In any case, yes, some areas in the southwest are notorious for hard water. But here are some simple facts that may help:
- Test your own water! That's number 1. Use a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C and use a magnetic speedstir to help you with the reagents during that test. It makes a BIG difference.
- How are you sanitizing the water? Some products (like Cal-Hypo) use calcium and increase your CH level dramatically.
- Please update your signature with all of your pool & equipment info. It will help us later.
- Managing hard water (your CH level) in a pool is done by countering the high CH level with a lower pH & TA level to help reduce the likelihood of scale in the pool. You can learn more about that (your csi level) here at TFP.
- You can learn more about all of this on the TFP Pool School - Calcium Scaling page.

If you still have question, please let us know. Thanks for posting.

Ill update my sig when i get home, but quickly i have a salt water pool with a cartridge filter, pebble finish. Had it for about 4 years and this is the first year Ch has been an issue. Is it something to really worry about, or as long as i keep the ph in check am i ok?

Thanks

Is it something to really worry about, or as long as i keep the ph in check am i ok?
Just a typical scenario I'm afraid in your area, but certainly not hopeless. You probably experience a lot of evaporation throughout the year. As such, your fill water probably has a relatively healthy CH content that's contributing to the already elevated CH level. Still, it's not uncommon for some in your area to have a CH of 1,000 or so, and they still manage their existing water by countering it with a lower pH/TA to keep that "CSI" level is a good range. You can do it as well. Home testing is certainly your best bet to monitor that CH level (and all others) as often as needed.

I’ll be draining in a few weeks since my CH is now up to 1400ppm. Water was perfectly manageable all the way up to 1200ppm. My fill water cones out of the tap with 200ppm CH and I do not use a pool cover.

The only options for CH control is to install a water softener in your home and get a pipe routed to your autofill or a hose bib installed you can use for topping off. After that, you can try to capture rain water off your roof and use that to help reduce CH as rain water has zero calcium in it.

Desert life with a pool unfortunately....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.