In the planning stages

Feb 8, 2018
NY
Hello all, I am new to the forum.

I am in the planning/information gathering stages and have a few questions. I appreciate everyone's opinion and patience. Thank you!

I live in Malverne on Long Island, NY - hot summers, cold winters. I will surely be using an electric heat pump (will close pool in September).

We've decided on in-ground, somewhere in the 14-16' by 27-30ish range, but still debating between vinyl and fiberglass. My first question regards Viking vs San Juan. I like Vikings designs better, but want to make sure there isn't a huge difference between manufacturers.

Next question regards fiberglass and metals in water. I read in an old thread (2010) that if your water is prone to metals, such as iron, that fiberglass can stain. Is this accurate? Does anyone have experience with this problem.

Because of my metal situation, I plan to use a Sand filter utilizing filterglass. I've read that filterglass media produces a charge that attracks metals and filters them out. Thoughts?

My last question (for now) deals with in-floor filtration. We have large oak trees and evergreens in our yard that almost completely cover the proposed pool area. There will be heavy leaf fall and pollen getting into the pool. I was going to get an automatic vacuum, but thought an in-floor filtration system might be better.

Thanks again for your help!
Michelle

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I have a Viking, but I suspect both offer somewhat comparable products. They've been around for a while. Fiberglass is a nice product. As for metals, specifically iron, if it's in your local water, it doesn't matter what type of surface you have. Any of them can stain. Copper is rarely found in water supplies, but usually introduced to the pool via pool store products which is another reason here at TFP we advocate the use of very simple, basic products you can find at your local grocery store and they work just fine. If you are going with a sand filter, some owners experiment with other fillers, but in almost all cases sand works just fine. Again, the type of filler won't resolve an iron issue. The best way to avoid iron in the water is to not get in in there to begin with. If you have a well or iron in your city water, consider having water trucked-in. Again, avoid copper-based pool products at all costs.

As for the in-floor system, I don't have one. Some love them, others find them to be problematic later. Robot cleaners are the up & coming thing nowadays. You might want to look into those. Hope this helps. Nice to have you with us.

In your area, which is not dusty like the southwest, I'd highly recommend an electric robot cleaner, like a Dolphin S-series or M-series. They are solid choices. The S line would likely be perfect for your size pool.

And welcome!!!

I am in northern Ohio. I have the Viking brand, Laguna. Close to the size your looking at. Love it, it has the salt water generator and the pool practically takes care of it self. I would wait on any robotic cleaners till you had time with the pool. I was looking at electric cleaners and decided to wait, and am glad I did. Like I said the pool practically take care of itself. I vacuum once a week and it takes me 30 minutes from start to finish. Up north you will need a solar cover and it will be on 90% of the time you are not swimming. This will keep a lot of the debris from getting in pool. There are ways to clean off and scoop out before settling in to pool when taking off cover. I have two returns near floor and not sure if they are optional. Good luck with install.

Good job finding TFP and asking questions BEFORE you get the pool! You are off to a great start!

Floor cleaning system-I am not even sure you can get a fiberglass pool set up for them as it would involve holes in the bottom of the shell. The same idea for a vinyl pool...holes made in the bottom of the vinyl=more chances of leaks down the road.

Kim:kim:

Hi Michelle,

I'm in NY and have two large oak trees right next to my pool so I have some advice. Get two skimmers for sure. You will empty them twice per day for a 3 week span in the spring. The catkins that fall from the Oaks are crazy. I got a bucket from the dollar store and just empty them into that each morning and when I get home from work. I never though of it until I got a pool and it packed my skimmers. Google Oak tree catkins to see a picture.

On the in-floor system. I'd check out what it doesn't clean. It's easier than the robot and I'd love one if my budget allowed for it but as it was I waited 2 years to get my robot (and I'll never be without another one). As you know the oak tree leaves are large and tough (not too flexible) so the in-floor cleaner may have a hard time with them. Also can it clean up the the acorns (which are outrageous in number)? The robot I have (Doheny's Dolphin Discovery) gets both without an issue. I leave the pool open until October and since the Oaks don't drop leaves until late in the season it's really just the acorns I get a lot of. This past year I closed late (last week of Oct.) and i had a lot of leaves by then and had to empty the robot's basket more frequently than I normally would have. But if you close in sept Oak leaves won't be an issue at the point. There is in-floor cleaning for fiberglass. Out of all 3 main pool types I'd get it in a fiberglass pool. Reason being is it's engineered to an exact standard for optimal performance and it's consistent. With gunite pools you're counting on the guy who is working 14 hour days, 10 of them in the hot sun. It's easy to misplace them or make a mistake. I'm sure many come out great but I don't believe it's as consistent as the fiberglass. Vinyl is basically the same since the floor it not part of the pool kit.

The catkins that fall from the Oaks are crazy. I got a bucket from the dollar store and just empty them into that each morning and when I get home from work. I never though of it until I got a pool and it packed my skimmers. Google Oak tree catkins to see a picture.
Yes, catkins! I had no idea what they were called, so thank you! That is exactly what I have, and part of the reason why my husband fought me about getting the pool in the first place!

Thank you for your tips on how to handle the oak tree! As well as the other recommendations!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.