Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Level for Indoor SWG pool

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Level for Indoor SWG pool

Hi, So I know that it is recommended to have a 5-10ppm CYA level (or 20-30ppm for the ease of measurement) in an indoor pool for its ability to buffer chlorine. I also know you have to have a higher CYA level for a SWG system (close to 100ppm) than you would have for a liquid chlorine regiment so that you don't have to run the SWG for as long each day.

So what do we do for indoor SWG pools? Do we still only use a 20-30ppm level of CYA with a SWG and if so, what sort of FC ppm should I be aiming for?

Or if I should maintain the CYA level recommended for SWG of 100ppm, will there be any major consequences of having this high CYA level in an indoor pool?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CYA Level for Indoor SWG pool

Welcome!

Does the pool get any exposure to UV (the sun) at all? Skylights in the ceiling etc?

I would maintain a CYA of 30ppm (easy to measure & will buffer the chlorine), and maintain my FC at 8-12% of CYA (3-4ppm), never falling below 6% (2ppm).

Is this a residential or public pool?

The primary reason for higher CYA in outdoor SWG pools is to protect the FC from UV (the sun).
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Never mind - Dom has you taken care of.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi, and thank you!

There are a few skylights but the pool is covered with a motorised pool cover that is completely opaque unless the pool is being used.

This is a residential pool and I would say it is maybe used for an hour a day by a maximum of three people.

But thank you for the recommendations on the CYA and FC levels. I will definitely aim to keep them there!