Replace old DE Filter Grids or buy new filter?

Jun 18, 2010
Arlington, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hi,

I have a 48 square foot DE filter that is probably at least 25 years old. I think it is a Pac Fab Nautilus Stainless D.E.

IMG_20180209_122117.jpg

I do almost all pool maintenance myself - but the one thing I pay to have done is the cleaning of the DE Filter once a year. The manifold is cracked, and the grids need to be replaced. I have three options:

1) Pay $500 for new grids and manifold installed.
2) Pay $1100 for a new Pentair FNS Plus 48 square foot installed with a new "push/pull" valve.
3) A friend of mine just filled his pool in with dirt and is looking to get rid of his 15 year old Pentair/Aquatech NS/FNS-60. I can buy it for $50. He says the grids are all in good shape. I am asking how much it will cost to have it installed - I am not considering doing this myself.

Questions:

Would it be dumb to put $500 into such an old filter?

Do I have to replace my existing multiport valve if I replace the filter?

My filter pump is a two speed - I run it on low speed practically all the time. How will the performance (pressure/flow) change going to a 60 square foot DE filter?

Thanks,
Robert

Get a Pentair QuadDE filter if you plan to stick with DE. They are A LOT easier to maintain than the spiral grid style FNS. My Quad is oversized for my pool volume so I never backwash. I simply tear it down and do a full clean out once per year. Takes about 2-3 hours on a Sat. Easiest filter to maintain in my opinion.

Robert, I have that filter and considered ditching it because it's old and the grids needed to be replaced. But I don't need a new manifold and we had to replace the pump this year, so I figured we'll keep it for now. If you're faced with paying someone $500 to put that stuff in vs. a newer, easier filter to deal with - I would go with the new filter. As for a used one, you're the one who knows your bank account. But I would prefer to have a new one because of the design improvements over what you (and I) now have.

Thanks for the replies.

My current filter never requires backwashing and only gets cleaned once a year (usually in January). I pay someone $100 to clean it once a year - saves me the hassle. So I am not sure what design features of a newer filter would benefit me. I plan to continue to pay for this once a year service. My main concern about replacing the grids is that if the clamp or tank fails (begins to leak) within a year I will wish that I had paid the extra money to get a new filter.

Option 3 in my original post is by far the cheapest. I can buy a used Pentair/Aquatech NS/FNS-60 for $50. All of the grids have been recently replaced. I am asking how much it will cost to have it installed - I am not considering doing this myself.

My existing Nautilus stainless steel filter is 48 SF. The used 60 SF NS/FNS-60 filter is 60 square feet. Will the 60 SF filter work in my system with 1.5 inch plumbing and Pentair WhisperFlo two speed 1 HP Pump? I run the pump on its low speed practically all the time. Can I re-use my existing 1.5" multiport valve or will I need to replace it?

Here is another picture showing my current setup.
IMG_20180209_122203.jpg

Thanks,
Robert

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.