Walnut Creek, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I’m thinking about getting the SWG system on my 18k Pool and was reading that everybody thinks that you should size it 1.5 to 3 times the size of your Pool. Isn’t that a little bit of an overkill? Or does the cell last longer because it doesn’t have to work as much? Or you don’t have to run your Pool pump as long? This is all new to me, because I’ve used chlorine tabs for 21 years... thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You should always size your SWCG for at least 2X your pool volume. SWCG's are rated at 100% on for 24 hours. Most of us do not like to run our pumps that long. In warmer climates you may even have a drop in FC in your pool during the heat of the day as the SWCG could not keep up.

So for your pool I would recommend at least a 40K rated unit. If you are planning to incorporate into an Automation system be sure your pump, SWCG, and automation system are from the same manufacturer. If no automation, then you will need a timer just for the SWCG as it must be powered off when the pump is not running.

I’m thinking about getting the SWG system on my 18k Pool and was reading that everybody thinks that you should size it 1.5 to 3 times the size of your Pool. Isn’t that a little bit of an overkill? Or does the cell last longer because it doesn’t have to work as much? Or you don’t have to run your Pool pump as long? This is all new to me, because I’ve used chlorine tabs for 21 years... thanks

No, a 2x rated SWG is not overkill.
Yes the 2x rated cell will last longer because you don't have to work it as much. SWG cells have a finite life in hours run. If you need to run it 100% of the time then you use up the life span quickly.
Yes you are correct that the 2x rated cell would not need to run as long to produce the same amount of chlorine. see comment above. This saves SWG cell life and you are able to run your pump less to save electrical costs.
There is a small cost increase from one cell size up to the next. You can get a double size cell for well less that 2x the price. This makes the cell last longer and is cheaper to operate over time.

If you have used tabs for that long, you may find that life is much easier with the SWG. But don't confuse that with the potential to reduce monitoring your pool's condition. Through continued regular testing with a good test kit, you will have a happy pool and be able to fully enjoy it's beauty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.