Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: noob with cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

noob with cloudy water

Well first off noticed the other day water little green. tested with my wally kit no chlorine and ph low. Plugged the numbers into the clac. and added borax. Put in a gallon of bleach. Tried to vacuum bottom but went right back into pool through the intex filter. Then read need to bring pool up to shock chlorine levels. Don't know what that is so off to town and bought a shock and swim from wally put that in there and water got cloudy. Ph and chlorine way high. Let pump run all night then next day tried to vacuum again little better seems most staid in the filter. Now water still cloudy ph at 7.1 and chlorine between 6 with TA at 210. weather getting nice again would like to use pool so any ideas.
    1988 Ceder Ridge
    24' Doughboy AGP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: noob with cloudy water

You need to shock your pool WITH BLEACH or liquid chlorine according to your CYA level. See my signature for link to the CYA chlorine chart.

Keep your pool at shock level until
    1) you lose <1ppm FC overnight
    2) your CC's are <0.5

That will get rid of the cloudy and the green.

Also, if you haven't yet, read Pool School, especially defeating algae and shocking your pool.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Keep in mind that an Intex filter can take weeks to clear up all the dead algae, and that is assuming it is all dead.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know what my cya level is but I did add some when I put the pool up. Are the shock n swim ones any good or am I better off using 6% bleach?
    1988 Ceder Ridge
    24' Doughboy AGP

6. Back To Top    #6

without test results it's a losing battle.
    pool-school/read_before_you_post
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

well our store closed and is doing some things from his house. Might have to take a water sample in to have checked for cya. but can check the chlorine and ph and ta at home. But we will see if they still do that and see what I got?
    1988 Ceder Ridge
    24' Doughboy AGP

8. Back To Top    #8

you can but I would advise to get one now. especially with a bigger pool coming in your future, the test kit will be an indispensable tool and the experience and knowledge you gain now will help volumes, not to mention the help it will give you for your current pool and problem.

9. Back To Top    #9

well with about a month left before we take it down am going to try and limp through. And will get a kit next year that way it isn't sitting around all winter.
    1988 Ceder Ridge
    24' Doughboy AGP

10. Back To Top    #10

do you know how much cya you added?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by fordman
    I don't know what my cya level is but I did add some when I put the pool up. Are the shock n swim ones any good or am I better off using 6% bleach?
    Bleach.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't know for sure was 2 month ago but did put 6oz in the skimmer about 3 days ago.

So will be buying more bleach since it is better than the shoke n swims.
    1988 Ceder Ridge
    24' Doughboy AGP

13. Back To Top    #13

well added enough acid to lower ph to 7 pool looks clearer. Then turned the return jet up to areate the water to raise my ph back up and see how it goes.
    1988 Ceder Ridge
    24' Doughboy AGP

14. Back To Top    #14

Well had water tested and only had 7 for cya so have the amount to raise in a stocking hanging in the pool. TA was 144 knew it was high working on getting it lower. Water looks lots better than when I first posted. Don't know if it is the filter finally cleaning the alge out or me working on the TA and PH. My guess is the filter.
    1988 Ceder Ridge
    24' Doughboy AGP

15. Back To Top    #15

couple pictures of the water and new aerator.

1988 Ceder Ridge
    24' Doughboy AGP

16. Back To Top    #16

nice!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

17. Back To Top    #17

Well got my TA down between 100 and 110. PH at 7.2 stopped areration because we got chance of rain tonight and see if it does and what it raises it to. Got the cya still hanging out by my return inlet. Water still not crystal clear but getting there. Might be little late in the season but I can use this knowledge on next years set up.
    1988 Ceder Ridge
    24' Doughboy AGP