Blank slate/Pool build in Maryland

Captchaos

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2017
Maryland
I've been lurking here for several months as we've interviewed potential builders and contemplated what we wanted to do with the backyard. We've got a walkout basement on one side and some elevation changes that are complicating things, along with my innate desire to never have any regrets (impossible). We need a deck/patio and WANT a pool. We have an approximately 4-5 month pool season here (if you heat the pool) but probably a 6 month or so deck season. The more we plan to spend on the deck, the less we plan to spend on the pool. The closer we bring the pool to the house, the more it affects the deck because the stairs have to land in a reasonable place in relation to the pool, and this may require a retaining wall or major excavation. The farther away we move the pool so we can "close it off" in the off season and still enjoy the yard, the less it affects the deck but it feels like it will be too far in the summer? It's been a long process. Further complicating things is the cost of the pool is $10-15k more than I had anticipated.

We think we've decided at this point to do as little as possible with the deck/patio and go with the pool because we are tired of waiting. The deck will be extended slightly to be even with the two "bumpouts" with steps directly down the center. In a year or two when we figure out how we're using the yard after the pool, we will install some sort of larger deck, likely rectangular.

Here's an aerial shot of our yard, you can see our former 24' above ground temporary pool site and temporary deck we inherited with the house.
DJI_0023.jpg

The left side of the picture near the garage is approximately 8 feet higher than the right side near the walk out basement. Proposed initial free form pool placement was approximately right over top of the old pool going off to the right of the picture and an 800 sq ft exposed aggregate decking around it. If you look really closely, you can see that I placed some of my kids' sand toys in the grass in the corners of the 20x40 rectangle. The fence will likely be 40x60 in a rectangular fashion around the pool. Placement here indicates that there is no retaining wall required by two of the four pool builders. One of them said a retaining wall is absolutely required, and another insisted on centering the pool with the house so I'm in agreement it would be required there. I feel like a retaining wall is complicating things and not really something I want to deal with because it will then affect the future deck attached to the house. It's difficult for me to envision.

We've narrowed it down to one of the builders who says a retaining wall is most likely not required and he was the most willing to work with us. Some of the pool builders and I would certainly not get along--like the guy who I asked if I could pick my own equipment after reading suggestions here. He looked at me and said, "Now why would you think that you know better which equipment to use than I do?" No faster way to get yourself off of the list than to say something like that to a potential customer.

We're attempting to Photoshop the pool into that spot and potentially deciding to move it closer to the house, but I am concerned that the walkout basement will start getting affected/flooded, etc. It also seems like it might bring back the necessity of a retaining wall. Any thoughts on placement?

Edit - Build underway

3/24 - Dig
3/28 - Steel
3/29 - Plumbing
4/14 - Gunite
4/20 - Electrical
5/01 - First grading and trench backfill
5/02 - Tile & Coping
5/03 - Second round of grading
5/10 - Third round of grading
5/13 - Waterfall build attempt #1 (too wet)
5/24 - Patio prep
5/25 - Waterfall build attempt #2 (too wet, skid steer stuck)
5/29 - Waterfall build attempt #3 (too wet, skid steer stuck again)
6/02 - Waterfall built
6/08 - Patio poured
6/14 - Fourth round of grading and pool cleanup
6/15 - Fifth round of grading and more pool cleanup
6/18 - Final (sixth round) grading
6/22 - Plaster and water
6/23 - First swim
6/30 - Ground prep (proper final grade, raking), sod, Curlex (erosion control mat/straw)
3/16/19 - Deck and stairs completed
3/30/19 - Fence completed

Last edited:
Hi! LOL on him asking "why do you think you know better which equipment to use than I do?" "Because I read what some people wearing PJs sitting on their couch says" :cool:

Lets get this started. That pic is a great starting off point. Now take one from one of the back windows making sure we can tell where the house is in the pic. Then from the sides that shows the elevation change. Take a pic from the back of the property looking towards the house. I would take one from the angle of the old pool and one centered on the house.

We need to make sure to keep a good part of the yard for the kids to play in as they grow up. What are their ages now?

That should get you started!

Kim:kim:

Yet another reason why I need to get myself a good drone. I'm seeing more & more of these types of images and I love them. You have an awesome property with infinite possibilities. Good luck deciding on what to do! :grin: Looking forward to updates. By the way .... WELCOME TO TFP! :wave:

Some may not like it, but our pool is not close to the house and I love it. It is a getaway. I never run back in to do laundry. Ha! Let me rephrase that, I never run back in to check on the kids! The placement did allow us to have nice space between the house and pool for the non-pool season. Our build is similar to the size you are envisioning. And it is on a slope. If you haven’t seen it there are pics on our build thread in my signature.

My pool is also a bit away from the back of the house..down a slope. Building the pool actually gave us a yard instead of just wild brush and trees.

It is just as Bmoreswim says- it gives it a destination feel.

Having a small pool shed with beer fridge, margarita machine, stereo and pool toys/etc. helps one feel that destination better.... in our case the only thing missing is the bathroom.

Maddie :flower:

Hi! LOL on him asking "why do you think you know better which equipment to use than I do?" "Because I read what some people wearing PJs sitting on their couch says" :cool:

Lets get this started. That pic is a great starting off point. Now take one from one of the back windows making sure we can tell where the house is in the pic. Then from the sides that shows the elevation change. Take a pic from the back of the property looking towards the house. I would take one from the angle of the old pool and one centered on the house.

We need to make sure to keep a good part of the yard for the kids to play in as they grow up. What are their ages now?

That should get you started!

Ha! I didn't tell him why I would want to select my own equipment, but research in getting exactly what I want, how it's going to work, and how I'm going to use it are things that I do exhaustively up front. I want someone who will advise me and offer me options, not someone who is going to select everything for me.

It is a terrible rainy day here today but here are some other drone shots below I took yesterday. It's hard to see the elevation changes but you can see the backyard better. I'll snap some more later.

The kids are 7, 4, and 3.

Yet another reason why I need to get myself a good drone. I'm seeing more & more of these types of images and I love them. You have an awesome property with infinite possibilities. Good luck deciding on what to do!: grin: Looking forward to updates. By the way .... WELCOME TO TFP! :wave:

The drone is fun! I don't have much time to use it, but it's a DJI Mavic. Thanks for the welcome.

Some may not like it, but our pool is not close to the house and I love it. It is a getaway. I never run back in to do laundry. Ha! Let me rephrase that, I never run back in to check on the kids! The placement did allow us to have nice space between the house and pool for the non-pool season. Our build is similar to the size you are envisioning. And it is on a slope. If you haven’t seen it there are pics on our build thread in my signature.

I'll check out your build pics, thanks. I believe I was following yours several months ago.

I'm really torn, actually. I feel like we won't use the pool deck much when the pool isn't open, so that makes me want a bigger attached-to-the-house-deck so we will close off the pool further away in the yard and use the house-deck on days like yesterday when it was 60 degrees and sunny. But in the summertime, I'm going to love having it close to the house because we practically live in the pool all summer.

I feel like a pool in the winter where everything is dead and the pool is closed is so depressing. Unless the patio is enormous, I just don't see going down there and using it in like, say, April.

My pool is also a bit away from the back of the house..down a slope. Building the pool actually gave us a yard instead of just wild brush and trees.

It is just as Bmoreswim says- it gives it a destination feel.

Having a small pool shed with beer fridge, margarita machine, stereo and pool toys/etc. helps one feel that destination better.... in our case the only thing missing is the bathroom.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks. Maybe we will compromise and put it in the center? Decisions, decisions. I LOVE how your backyard came out! What a change.

Attachments

• DJI_0019.jpg
    DJI_0019.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 865
  • DJI_0016a.jpg
    DJI_0016a.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 858
Which direction is north in these photos? Will you be heating the pool? All also considerations on location.

Regarding using the pool deck in April, our pool is open usually April 15-20th. Not for human swimming mind you, but it's running and beautiful, and the dogs can barely wait! Then it's open until the last week of October. We do have an autocover which makes the fall (much) easier regarding leaves, though the woods behind us are 100' from the pool.

How much property do you have?? What a pretty area!

You cannot do it wrong. No matter where you put it you will find a way to make the best use of it and your area.

Lets talk about your walkout-is there a bathroom down there? Is it finished? I have some thoughts about it, the pool, and the kids.

Great lot! I would have the pool as an extension to the house. You will be going in and out all the time especially during parties. I have seen pools a distance from the house but it for sure isn't for me. Good luck!!

Which direction is north in these photos? Will you be heating the pool? All also considerations on location.

Regarding using the pool deck in April, our pool is open usually April 15-20th. Not for human swimming mind you, but it's running and beautiful, and the dogs can barely wait! Then it's open until the last week of October. We do have an autocover which makes the fall (much) easier regarding leaves, though the woods behind us are 100' from the pool.

The front of the house faces pretty much due east, so North is to the left in picture 1, straight ahead in picture 2, and straight back in picture 3. The sun is overhead on the old above ground pool from approximately 11 AM to about 8 PM in the summer. After that it goes behind the trees in the third picture on the far end.

Good to know on your pool opening and closing times. We used to open the above ground pool the second week of May or so, but it was one of those temporary ones I took down each winter so it was an ordeal every year. I also took that down in mid October or so but we usually stopped using it much in mid September as it started to get cold. I’ve noticed in ground pools seem to hold heat a little bit longer. A heater will not be installed initially but I plan to have it plumbed to add later. I’m sure “later” is going to mean the first time I decide it’s too cold, but it looks like I can buy the propane heater for around $1600 opposed to the $2900 the pool builder we’re likely choosing quoted, then install it myself.

How much property do you have?? What a pretty area!

You cannot do it wrong. No matter where you put it you will find a way to make the best use of it and your area.

Lets talk about your walkout-is there a bathroom down there? Is it finished? I have some thoughts about it, the pool, and the kids.

We have 4 acres, which is basically a long rectangle. The house is approximately in the middle of the rectangle. Thank you for the compliments, we love it!

The basement is not finished and there is no bathroom down there. Some day we will finish it but we just don’t need the space now. A big part of the reason we’re installing the pool is we want our kids to be here all the time instead of other houses. I’m sure when friends start coming over, we will finish the basement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A couple more questions..............that patio with the table and chairs...........is that a door there? What is on the other side of the door?

Where is the closest bathroom from the back doors? What will have to be walked on to get to it?

I have it! Lets plan for now and for the future.

I say do not center the pool to the house. Center it to the main back door and walkout door. I say keep it in line where the old pool was but closer to the house about half way. My thinking is........will be easy to tie into the current patio outside the doors and then add patio to the main stairs and door to the current bathroom. That will enable you to use it year round (fire pit for the cooler months) and really enjoy it. I am hopeful this will not mean an retaining wall.

If you put it here then when you are ready to finish the basement (will come sooner than you think with a 7yr old) you will be set up and not have to pour any patio as it will already be there.

You can get the mobile firepits from Lowes that are VERY pretty. That way you can move it as needed for the different seasons.

I am glad you are getting some ideas to use. Even if you don't use any of my ideas at least they got you thinking.:hug:

Good point, I actually have a small firepit that we never use. It's on the poured patio by the basement door. I'm sure we can use that for now.

I am calling around trying to figure out what to do about a patio. It looks like the pool builder we're probably going to select is very competitive on the exposed aggregate pricing (provided I can get him to keep his fall pricing he provided in August). I would love to have pavers or stamped concrete, but the cost, upkeep, and HEAT in the sun are keeping me away. I'm a little concerned exposed aggregate is going to be hard on our feet. I've been on some that is very hard on your feet but I'm also reading there are different mixes available that aren't so rough. I was feeling like I could work through that a little bit easier if I went straight to a patio contractor myself, but it looks like I'll end up paying more or the same and adding myself a headache as well.

On top of this there is the water feature and colored plaster decision. We definitely want a water feature but $5500 is hard to swallow. We know we'll add it some day but at what cost? Who is going to do it (a regular landscaper? me? a kit I buy online?)? Do I want somebody else putting a bunch of boulders on the side of my pool wall later? Not to mention it costs $1,000 to preplumb for one (plus pump)--I'm sure that can be done later but it seems like a hassle I might want to avoid. Colored plaster is definitely preferred as well, but $2200 for a little bit of dye in the plaster seems like a profit center. I'm told "they have to wash the equipment really well with colored plaster" but don't they always wash the equipment really well? Maybe I'm off base here and this is some super expensive dye that must be used? It's just one of those things that you can't reasonably go back and do, so if you want it, kinda have to do it now.

I am going to ask another member to come over to talk plaster with you. He has found some neat stuff out about different plasters.

Patio-maybe if they "polished" exposed aggregate it will not be so rough on the feet but just about everyone has said it can be rough on the feet. BUT with you having the young kids which=running............it might be the best bet as it will slow them down some and not be as slippery :roll:

Thanks! Funny, I thought the same thing; the kids won't run as much/fast and maybe it will be safer. I understand there are different types of exposed aggregate--not sure if this pool builder told us that or another one did but apparently it involves less work to expose the aggregate less? I know you can seal exposed aggregate as well so that can help.

Tx Kim for bringing this to my attention. I'll see if I can lend a hand.

1st. We have an exposed aggregate deck. Yes, it is a little rough, but I have never once that it was too rough. My kids (now 4) run around chasing each other and have been okay. They have even been wet running and have been okay; no slipping. It does get warm, but what surface wouldn't get warm. I like it b/c it is very durable. Low maintenance, and having once less thing to be so concerned about keeping up is nice. Therefore, aggregate would be my go to vs. pavers/stamped concrete.

2nd. Sounds like you want a water feature. Getting it now, if you have kids who are young, would be great b/c ultimately its for them.

3rd. Member Onbalance recommends avoiding organic based pigment vs. inorganic mineral based pigments. This is b/c plaster that is colored with these organic pigments fade overtime as they are exposed to ultraviolet rays and even oxidization from chemicals (i.e. chlorine). Specifically, blue based pigments (so blue colored plaster) should be avoided. Onbalance and his colleagues found that the only blue pigments tested and found to be suitable in an oxidizer-treated aqueous environment were cobalt-based (Pigments and Pools | Pools/Spas | Watershapes).
I suggest reading that link to give you more info on pigments and colored plaster. Knowing how much this is costing us, it's enough for me to stick to a white or grey based pigment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.