Trouble on rounded steps with Zodiac MX8

Aug 9, 2017
Sunrise, FL
Hi all,

I bought a used Zodiac MX8 in great condition a few months back. I did some preventative maintenance before dropping it in the pool by replacing the motor, drive shafts, and rubber wheels. All else seemed to function well. It seemed to work fine for a few months but now Im having a weird issue. My shallow end steps are like half moons. Three descending to the bottom in larger diameters. They are quite smooth and rounded on the edges. The cleaner goes up to the bottom step, attempts to climb it, then gets sucked down and pressed against the curved surface. This stops the bottom turbines from spinning essentially stopping the wheels from turning. Also, if it dosent climb the step, it just butts up against it and spins the wheels. It tries to reverse itself but it wont go straight backward. It just tries to spin one wheel at a time which keeps pressing it forward up to the step. Does it sound like the drive gears need replacing or is it just the steps present an insurmountable problem? Thanks

I've got an MX8 Elite and simple 90 degree stairs, the MX8 almost never gets up any, if it does it only gets on the first one. I don't really have a problem with that so when I set it up I brush the steps off and let it do its thing.

If yours was getting up the steps make sure your hoses aren't getting bent and holding that shape, I make sure to store mine flat. If the gears were bad Id expect you would see it slipp and have very uneven turning of the track.

I'm a former MX8 owner. My suspicion is that you've already consumed a gear drive unit. My MX8 went through those, and the long gear shaft, very quickly. I hate to bash the equipment, but after two seasons I replaced it. In the end I couldn't even give it away on Craigslist.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.