New Pool Build - Marin, CA - Finished

Most people use fences to satisfy the barrier requirement that I see. With your spa being raised that may be your best bet for that part.

I wonder if you can find a "real" spa cover that will fit on your spa.....or you can make sure to build your spa with a "real" spa cover in mind.BUT the overflow part could make that tricky. We will have to do some brain storming on this one.

What do you want the spa for? Have you thought about a "real" spa? You might be able to have something built around it so it looks like it is a part of the pool but with all of the comfy seats, jets, and heat of the real spa.

Kim:kim:

There are automatic safety covers available in spa sizes - but you are talking about the additional added expense of an entire safety cover, a vault, motor, and everything that goes along with a automatic cover.

You will need to do the required fence enclosures, window alarms, door alarms, self closing doors, and gates to satisfy the safety laws. If you get a stand alone spa, and have a safety cover on the main pool then the requirements are reduced somewhat...

We have a neighbor with a spa built into their pool and they have the spa walls just lower than the coping, so then the pool cover can go right over the spa area...

My few input items...

On pool depth, your chart is very reasonable and accurate. Our rectangular pool is 38' long and 8 1/2' deep. At the halfway point, it's 5.5' deep. So half of the of the pool, almost, is standable for men, less for women (average).

You will find some pictures and commentary on standing benches in my build thread (link in my signature). Almost no one puts them in (though they really make the most sense in a deep pool which many are not) but I saw one inspiration photo that had them and the rest is history. We LOVE them. Ours could be a few inches deeper though I can't honestly remember how deep they are. Our thread may have that information.

Regarding lights, I'd load that baby up with a bunch of nicheless lights. I'm not sure how many, but maybe 6-10 in the pool for nice soft, even coverage. And then maybe several more for the catchment.

If you haven't seen it, one build thread that is must-reading for you is Martin Kennedy's...New build in South Texas

I'm sure you've done some recon on pricing, though just to be sure, an infinity edge and autocover may add $50K total (or more)? And your retaining walls may be $50 - 150K. If money is not the primary concern, then it's going to be awesome!!

>shelf step...........if it is going to be used mainly as a "step" into and out of the pool I would do it the "average" rise for steps (I THINK it is about 7"). I would NOT allow them to talk you into big risers for the steps. You have to think about the future and the possibility of someone needing an easier way in and out.
Makes sense. Yeah, indoor step height is 7" (max 7-3/4"). We are going down to 4' depth so theoretically we would need about 6 steps to make that more manageable. I'll go in and add another step or two down. I could see the 1' steps getting a little tricky as we get up there in age.

I was playing around with the design today (see below). I changed it up a little bit so that on the right side of the pool you don't go down steps to get to the spa. It is on the same elevation as the home (90.5 feet). The spa would be 2' high with 4 infiniti edges (one pouring into the pool).

Then I added another 2' water feature just above the spa. So the water would flow down 4' total (2' high water feature/spa and then another 2' to pool height). So this wouldn't really be a "waterfall" but I'm thinking more of just water cascading down against a stone or glass wall (a "water wall"?). So not really big splashing (which I agree would not be fun to sit by). Does that make sense?
Hi Bill! I haven't been on the board much lately, but Kim sent me a heads up knowing I would get a kick out of seeing your build. Kim was absolutely right! Wow what an amazing plan you have to go with your jaw-dropping property and views. OMG - you've got a little bit of Heaven right there where you live. How great is that, right?!!!!

I have a few things to add to the other great ideas.

Step height: You have the perfect plan to go with the lower risers on the steps. Everyone knows I'm a huge fan of low-riser steps in the pool. I had a bad hip while building my pool, so I knew they were a must. You mention going 7" on the steps since that would be average. I say go with 6" steps. That one inch lower will make a big difference if someone tears up a knee, ankle, hip etc. And if 7" is average, then an inch lower makes more sense for someone who isn't feeling 'average'. Lol!! You have the perfect location for more steps running along the side of the pool down from the sunshelf. I have 7 steps going down to my 4' shallow end. I love them even now that I have a titanium hip which works flawlessly. Depending on the depth of your sunshelf you shouldn't need as many as I did. The most surprising thing to me about the steps is how everyone, including kids and athletes, says the steps are awesome. They love them which I didn't expect.

One more thing, kids love sitting/standing on all the different steps depending on their height and what suits them, so give the steps enough width.

Step shape: I love rectanglular pools even though I went freeform since it fit my yard better. Would it look better having a rectangular sun shelf and steps to echo the rectangular spa and pool? When the plaster is applied, the guys are like artists and will make the edges nice and smooth, and rounded so nothing will be sharp. I think I would keep the curved benches since those will be in the swim area. Something to think about.

Sun shelf: You mentioned somewhere that you weren't sure if you would get much use out of a sun shelf. Trust me, my sun tanning days are long over, and I'm so glad I added a sun shelf. I had never heard of them when I started planning and was in love with the idea. I just kind of hoped I would use it, and do I ever! I can put one lounger, or 3 of the somewhat-large plastic adirondack chairs on the shelf. It's great to use for relaxing with drinks when we don't feel like being completely in the pool. I also love using it when the pool is too chilly just before and after the swim season. We often have some nice warm days and putting my feet in the cold water feels so very good. I also like it for sitting in my chair with shorts on to get my feet wet if I don't really have time to do the whole swimsuit thing. It makes me feel like I'm getting even more use out of my pool. I think you and your family will be happy to have the shelf. Btw, mine is 6" so my bum stays dry. 9" would probably work also. Some people want to have their bottoms wet while sitting on a chair on the shelf, so go deeper if that's the case. It's simply personal preference.

Water feature noise and ph: You also talked about a 4' drop for the spa water feature down to the pool. That would definitely be gorgeous and echo the steep drop-offs of your property. Just know that the further water drops, the louder it will be. Water features are surprisingly noisy. I had read that over and over during my pool build, and I still didn't get how noisy it would be. Now if it's cascading and hugging a wall, that might make a difference. With my sheer descents and bubblers going, it's hard to sit near the pool and comfortably carry on a conversation. I'd probably get the bubblers again, but I'd skip sheer descents with my next pool (in my next life). I usually turn on my water features just briefly with company.

Another thing to consider with water features is the rise in your pH. The more water splashing into your pool, the faster and higher the pH will rise. The first year of a pool, the plaster pushes up the pH quite a bit. And a salt pool also pushes pH higher than a non-salt pool. I LOVE having a swg system and would never go any other way. It is worth it many times over in spite of the pH rise, but hat's another reason I don't run my water features a lot.

Water features and glass maintenance: My last item is also a heads up. I have glass tile and love it, but any place where water falls down it or above it intermittently creates more maintenance. My tap water is on the soft side, and I keep very good watch over the chem balance of my water. Still, if I don't keep the water a touch more on the corrosive end of the acceptable spectrum, I get a build up and haze on the glass. I also used quite a bit of glass that is 100% under water, and it all looks brand new coming up on 3 years. The glass on the walls behind my sheer descents is a struggle to keep pretty. Glass sellers will tell you just to wipe it weekly or use their 'special' glass tile for pools cleaner. Wiping weekly hasn't been realistic for me especially in the winter, and trust me, I've tried just about every suggested cleaner out there. I also have glass on the slanted spillway of my spa, and it's not 100% carefree but close to. I definitely would use the glass again on underwater applications (step and sun shelf trims, spa and pool benches, etc). There's no describing how beautiful the glass is in the sun underwater. My spa benches still take my breath away.

With that said, if you have a pool guy who will wipe down a glass wall, etc, then go for it. Those glass walls are amazing!

I'm so glad to see your build thread. It's going to be great fun!!!

Keep updating - I'll definitely be checking in on your build!

Take care,
Suz

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response, work got a bit hectic. Appreciate all the follow-ups and helpful advice! Below are my responses.

What do you want the spa for? Have you thought about a "real" spa? You might be able to have something built around it so it looks like it is a part of the pool but with all of the comfy seats, jets, and heat of the real spa.
I would imagine the spa will mostly be for the adults (DW and me). I am imagining enjoying the spa with a nice glass of wine on a beautiful evening.

I've thought about getting the advantages of a modern spa "dropped" into the shell. As nice as that sounds I just couldn't find any pictures of where that looked natural with the overall design. Just felt a little forced. That being said I'm cool with having the spa have several different heights and just putting a ton of jets in there to try to recreate the "real spa" experience.

You will need to do the required fence enclosures, window alarms, door alarms, self closing doors, and gates to satisfy the safety laws. If you get a stand alone spa, and have a safety cover on the main pool then the requirements are reduced somewhat...
Right now we were planning on having an automated pool cover for the main pool and then a manual cover for the spa. I figured we would design it 8x8 so we could just use one of the more widely available spa covers. An automated for the spa would be nice but I really haven't found any online that look pretty sleek and wouldn't obstruct the views.

Hopefully the automated cover for the main pool and manual cover for the spa (which will be elevated 2' off the pool) will be enough to satisfy the safety requirements without adding fencing.

We have a neighbor with a spa built into their pool and they have the spa walls just lower than the coping, so then the pool cover can go right over the spa area...
I thought about that but ultimately to get the longer pool the design just worked better with the spa adjacent and raised up a little.
On pool depth, your chart is very reasonable and accurate. Our rectangular pool is 38' long and 8 1/2' deep. At the halfway point, it's 5.5' deep. So half of the of the pool, almost, is standable for men, less for women (average).
Yay! Our latest design has the pool length now at 44' but we did have to take the width down to 15' (setback requirements from our property line, that was the widest we could go). So we should have some more space now for a shallow area or to make the deep end even deeper (8.5 or maybe 9.5 feet).

bmoreswim also thanks for the lights idea (we will light it up!) as well as the links to the two builds, will check those out next for inspiration! I reall like the idea of the standing ledges ... swimming up and being able to stand on a ledge overlooking an infiniti edge seems really fun to me.

Step height: You have the perfect plan to go with the lower risers on the steps. Everyone knows I'm a huge fan of low-riser steps in the pool. I had a bad hip while building my pool, so I knew they were a must. You mention going 7" on the steps since that would be average. I say go with 6" steps.
Hmmm ok! I'll see if we can add in another step or so to get to the 6". Makes sense, we have the space.

Would it look better having a rectangular sun shelf and steps to echo the rectangular spa and pool?
I'm torn on that. I really prefer the more organic shaped pools but the surrounding landscaping will have more natural curves on it. I'll try it out with a few rough mockups and see what I like better (still leaning towards softer organic curves). But appreciate the suggestion Suz!

Sun shelf: You mentioned somewhere that you weren't sure if you would get much use out of a sun shelf. Trust me, my sun tanning days are long over, and I'm so glad I added a sun shelf.
Lol, in the latest design (see below) I actually took it out. But we're several months away from even breaking ground so we have plenty of time to switch our minds another 3-4 times :)

I agree the sun ledge would be really nice. But also my logic was that we'll plan on covering the pool most of the time with the pool cover. It might be kindof a pain to always take out and put in the lounging chairs on that shelf. I dunno.

Water feature noise and ph:
Hmmm good points. I don't think the water wall will be too noisy (imagining it will kind of cling on the wall the way down). But the waterfall/grotto will definitely be loud. And then I started thinking about adding in a bunch of laminars / bubblers which would add noise. Guess I just have to keep all the "water features" in mind with respect to noise. Good point! Also thanks for the heads up on the PH and water tile cleaning. Will definitely keep those in mind but hopefully we can "outsource" the cleaning there :)

I'm sure you've done some recon on pricing, though just to be sure, an infinity edge and autocover may add $50K total (or more)? And your retaining walls may be $50 - 150K. If money is not the primary concern, then it's going to be awesome!!
Yeah, this is going to be an expensive one. But this is our forever home. And it's our one chance to build something really special that my wife, daughter and I will use for a long time. So we want to do it right.

Thanks again for all the input guys! I'll keep you updated as things progress.

Ok, below is the current design. Tried the more angular squares/rectangles for the seating/steps and kindof like it! Good idea Suz! Also added in an additional step so we could have 6" steps going up. Another good idea!

Attachments

• Pool v6a.jpg
    Pool v6a.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 319
Hey guys - it's been awhile since my last post but the project is moving ahead! :whoot: I wanted to post the latest design and get your feedback on the locations of the benches, sun shelf, lights, bubblers, laminars, or anything else that you think might be helpful!

As a quick background, after a LOT of research on pool depths we've ultimately decided on a 4' to 4'10" depth with lots of seating areas. The pool is a 42x15 with an attached elevated spa which will pour into the main pool. The primary purpose of the pool will be to relax, have a drink and chill out (not a diving/sports pool).

The site is steep with really nice views. So we ended up going with multiple levels of infiniti edges. The spa will have two infiniti edges which will pour into a pool with two infiniti edges. There will be a swim in grotto with a waterfall up top (we will planting prickly plants up top to discourage any jumping from it).

I’ve tried to layout the seating in the pool to have a lot of spaces for people to sit and relax. The bench seating has two depths (18” and 24”) to accommodate tall and short folks. I also tried to put in some fun stuff for when kids come over (laminars, bubblers, etc.) and good lighting for at night. It will be a salt water pool as well.

Some other interesting things we are doing is going with a Aquamatic pool cover for both the pool and spa which will come from a housing under the pool & spa. The pool will also be surrounded by a glass wall which can raise/lower for safety purposes and also to block the wind if needed.

This is our first pool ever so I’m a bit of a newb at this but this site and community has been incredibly helpful in learning all the nuances of the myriad of decisions you need to make.

The first image below is a a 3d model of the pool and the site that we are working with. Ignore the benches/steps in this view as what they put in was just a placeholder. This image will help you get a feel for the overall site and size of the pool.

I should point out that in this rendering they forgot to put in the waterfall from the top of the grotto. Also the rendering kind of makes it look like we will have clear - see through glass/acrylic walls on the pool but we are not doing that. It is just the water pouring over the sides for the infiniti edges. Finally the house location is basically right against the wooden deck / spa (all the grey area on the right is where our two story house is.

The second image is my design / layout for the interior of the pool with respect to bench seating locations, sun shelf locations, lights, laminars, bubblers, etc...

So anyways have at it if you have any suggestions or areas you think I missed! Thank you in advance for any feedback
icon_smile.gif

Attachments

• Pool overhead.jpg
    Pool overhead.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 309
  • Pool 10e.jpg
    Pool 10e.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 303
We are planning on using the Aquamatic Hydralux system. It's pretty cool where the cover is actually kept under the pool and then it spools out and floats on the water. So it doesn't require a track. Here are some pics to illustrate or you can see it in this youtube vid: HydraLux, slatted automatic swimming pool cover - YouTube

Attachments

• aquamatic hydralux 1.png
    aquamatic hydralux 1.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 251
  • aquamatic hydralux 2.jpg
    aquamatic hydralux 2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 254

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That’s a cool cover, but it doesn’t look like it qualifies as a “safety” cover. It looks like a person could end up underwater - and under the cover - if they fell onto it.

That’s a cool cover, but it doesn’t look like it qualifies as a “safety” cover. It looks like a person could end up underwater - and under the cover - if they fell onto it.

I agree. The video was so interesting! I was ready to build again (Lol!!!), but I have cats and young kids living nearby. I'm fearful of pets and people getting trapped under the water. Everyone's situation is different, just be aware.

Suz

Thanks Rocket and Suz. Yes, that pool cover isn't intended to be a safety cover (our intention is more for keeping the dirt out and heat in). We'll use the raised/lowered glass fence that surrounds the pool to keep people out of the pool when not in use.

Yes, and I’m also curious whether a glass fence satisfies one of the two child drowning prevention requirements of the state of CA, since the slatted cover obviously doesn’t.

I have been on the road so am just now getting to this:

Bubblers- That is a LOT of bubblers :shock: Not sure how many pumps or if there is one big enough to push all of those on it's own. I would think about cutting it down to 2.

Lights-we will be able to see your pool from space with that many lights. Now if they are small, "soft" lights then it could work. I can work on the placement and number if you are interested.

wall up lighting? What does that mean? I see a light there but not sure what you mean when you say "wall up lighting".

Cover-while it is very neat and will be out of sight we had a pool on here that had a cover kind of like that. It was stored in a vault under the water just like that (no idea of the brand and cannot find the thread just yet). He started having trouble holding FC and he pool kept getting cloudy. Turns out there was VERY poor water circulation in the vault so algae was growing down there :shock: It was a mess down there when he found it. He got it cleaned up after a LOT of hard work and rigging to get the stuff up and out of the pool. He then had to find a way to move the water down there so it does not happen again. Just something to REALLY think about ahead of time.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.