Added TIC gs4 8” dvc speaker....love my sound system!

Acmfl

Bronze Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
Tampa area, Florida
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Love my sound system...Play-Fi

Sorry it’s long. I covered some of this in my paradise thread in my sig but decided to break out the sound system for people looking for advice on their outdoor sound.

Short version is we have an amazing whole house WiFi outdoor sound system for less than $1000.

Long version: We added a TIC GS4 DVC speaker to our outdoor sound system and it’s unbelievable for the $99 price. It’s a dual voice coil so you run both the left and right channels to the one speaker, instead of having 2 speakers. You bury it about half way. We installed it near the fire pit area. This really completed my outdoor system. We have 3 zones, the pool, fire pit and outdoor kitchen/bar. My backyard is about 90’ wide by about 50’ deep and I now have complete coverage in my yard. It’s also better IMHO to run more speakers to maximize your listening in each zone without having to blast your music. I can now sit by the fire pit late at night and have only that zone on low and not wake the neighbors. Plus it really sounds great and can really get loud and CLEAR if I want it.

Here is what I’m running outside:

DTS Play-fi Wireless whole house system (similar to sonos but cheaper) which allows me to have the same music playing, zone play, or different music in different zones, plus I control everything including volume and song selection on my phone or iPad. (I also have play-fi inside but Im only covering the outside in this post). Play-Fi

2 - Phorus PR5 Receiver with Play-Fi Multi-Room Dual Band Wireless Audio Streaming https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MY790GW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_kdPuAb7WQ3XDM (one for each stereo receiver.) These are the components that turn your regular audio system into whole house audio.
$150 each. ($300)

I’m using 2 - A/B channel stereo receivers similar to:
Yamaha R-S202BL Stereo Receiver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EMQI2CU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_HePuAb8CBTNFS.
1 receiver for zone 1 & 2.
1 receiver for zone 3.
Around $125 each. ($250)

Zone 1, channel B - Fire pit:
Speaker: TIC GS4 8" Outdoor Weather-Resistant Omnidirectional Dual Voice Coil (DVC) In-Ground Speaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0086E3W0W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_z5OuAbFNG3QCS
$95.

Zone 2, channel A - Pool area:
Speaker: Polk Audio Atrium 5 Speakers (Pair, White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00378KMFA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_gaPuAb3MBZZEY
I spent more on the Polk’s because they are not under cover and I read good reviews on their outdoor longevity. When I bought them they were around $190 a pair.

Zone 1 & 2 speakers controlled by receiver 1, connected to a phorus PR5 inside my pool shed.
I will be adding a mono price volume controller I purchased on the outside of the shed to turn on/off channel A as needed instead of going inside shed to push the A on/off. We leave A off all winter so that when I want the fire pit on I just use my iPad.

Zone 3, Outdoor kitchen/bar: I consider this 1 zone as I run 4 speakers under the porch controlled by reciever 2 connected to a phorus pr5. The speakers are 2 pairs of cheap dual speakers but under the covered 12 x 20’ porch facing in on all 4 corners you would never know they were $35 a pair!

You HAVE to have great internet for the play-fi system so I also upgraded to the EERO system, which creates a mesh wireless for your home. I use two which covers my 1 story block home and my entire property which is 100’ x 90’. I didn’t include the Eero in the 1k price, but it’s not expensive for the increase in your WiFi speeds and distance.

58E0F855-BD77-4337-BF2A-3B52AC858725.jpgHere is a quick photo of the speaker. We bought direct burial speaker wire that we still need to bury and also the dog keeps digging over here, so we need to replace the mulch. Never ending battle with the back yard, but so worth the work!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.