Onga Pantera PCFII-100 Pool Filter, how it works

Susiii

Dec 20, 2017
Melbourne/Victoria
Hi, I'm new to Troublefreepool.com. My pool is an Intex 18'x9'x52" rectangular above ground pool. I bought it 6 years ago and I used it for about 3 years, the rest of the time it was in the box (whenever we moved house and stayed only for a short time). Now I hope we stay for many years, so I hard-plumbed the pool with the Onga Pump LTP550 and to the new Onga Pantera PCFII-100 cartridge filter. The reason for buying an Onga filter: I thought it might match with the pump. I never see any of these cartridge filters in shops, only online. So I ordered one from an online shop on the Gold Coast, QLD. After receiving the filter, I could not wait to install it and try it out. Problem was, that when I unpacked it and looked inside, it didn't feel right. The filter casing looks very cheap (well, it was the cheapest filter I could find), everything is made of plastic. Inside there is only a 40 mm PVC pipe with a piece of plastic on the top (loose, not even fixed) and one on the bottom with a plastic ring that moves up and down. Why this black plastic ring is on the pipe is an open question and why this PVC pipe sits in the middle of the filter cartridge without being fixed to the bottom is another question which nobody can answer so far. I sent photos to an Onga filter service and repair company with my questions, but he just replied that he would have to look at the filter in person and I would have to pay for this - of course! 231217 Onga cartridge filter Pipe.jpg 231217 Onga cartridge filter with middle pipe.jpg I now glued the black piece of plastic onto the top of the pipe just so it doesn't fall off as it did when it arrived, let it dry for 24 hours and today I just tried out the filter. Nothing leaks, everything seems fine but I have no idea whether the filter actually does its job or not. I wish there were photos, drawings etc. somewhere on the internet but no matter what phrase I typed into the search engine, there were no satisfactory answers. Another confusion was the inlet. There are 2 inlets and 2 outlets. One of the inlets has got a spring with a screw in it and the other inlet has got nothing. When I glued the fittings in, I was not sure which inlet to use, so I went to a local Pool shop and asked (took the filter with me). The guy did not know either but he said it should not really matter. So I connected the fitting to the inlet with the spring.
231217 Inside Filter casing.jpg The filter is now running for 3 hours and I will turn it off because I cannot wait to see whether the cartridge has "caught" something. For some reason I believe that because of the pipe not being connected anywhere but just sitting loose in the casing, the water might enter the filter through the inlet and immediately rush out through the outlet without getting through the cartridge. I am very surprised that nothing can be found on the Internet about this filter. Every time I click on an "Onga Pantera PCFII-100" link, all I get is the instruction manual which I have got anyway. Anybody here who has/had this filter and knows whether this PVC pipe in the middle of the cartridge should be fixed to the bottom or not? Thanks....

I've not seem this filter before either, but perhaps the spring-activated inlet is designed for owners who want type of built-in check valve, so that when the pump is off, water is not supposed to be able to flow backwards towards the pump and pool. That's all that comes to mind on that one. As for the center pipe, it may be designed to simply catch air and move to allow water to flow up and out to the cartridge. That certainly is different than my cartridge filter which does have a center (skinnier plastic) tube designed to allow air to be purged from the top. Maybe someone else will see this post who owns one and have more details for you.

Hi Texas Splash - I tried out the filter yesterday and let it run for 3 hours. Afterwards I emptied the water and checked whether the cartridge has got some dirt on it and yes, it seemed to filter well. Nothing leaked, the return flow inside the pool was strong as usual and the cartridge had a bit of brownish colour. So I rinsed it well and put everything together again. There is a small plug on the bottom of the filter, between one of the inlets and one of the outlets, which is for the drainage of the filter. I had a huge puddle in the sand, so I attached another fitting with a small ball valve in the middle and a hose connector on the end. Could not be happier, everything seems great!

Does the filter have a pressure gauge? The best way to know when to clean the filter is to monitor your pressure. When it goes up 25% above clean pressure, then it is time to clean the filter.

Sounds like you got things put together. Now to get a proper test kit. The test strips are not accurate, and will not allow your water to be TFP clean!

Take care.

Hi MKnauss - yes, the filter has got a pressure gauge and an air pressure relief which I want to change to something with a tap. Everytime I check if there is air in the filter I have to unscrew the pressure relief and the water shoots into my eyes which is really annoying.

Also is it normal that as soon as I turn on the pump, the filter pressure gauge shows 70 - 80. I thought this might have something to do with the inlet where I glued the pipe in. As mentioned above (with the photo of the filter casing), the 2 inlets look different to each other. One has got a spring with a screw on it and the other inlet hasn't got anything. I glued the incoming water pipe into the inlet with the spring. Maybe I should have used the inlet without it?

Btw - the water looks amazingly clean, I'm so happy that after 6 years I finally bought a filter :)

151217 All finished and water nice and clean.jpg very happy about the crystal clear water

Is your gauge in psi or kPa? Does it stay at 70-80 or drop down?

No idea on the filter internals. Sounds like it is filtering so for now, all is good!

The best way to know your normal psi/kPa reading is by making a note of that number after you clean the filter. We call that a "baseline". Once you know your baseline (clean) pressure, you can then monitor it as the days/weeks progress. When that number increase by about 20-25%, you know it's time to clean the filter.

I've looked at the manual (several in fact) and it doesn't show the center stand pipe in any of the versions that I've looked through.

I suspect that it is a shipping part or was added after manufacture to alleviate some issue. Either noise, filter collapse, or flow dispersion, etc.. Can you post a picture of the inside the cap? does the plastic top fitting seal to the top cap of the filter housing?

I will take a pic as soon as I opened the filter cartridge. Need to do this anyway since some water is leaking from the bottom drain outlet. I bought a few fittings to attach a tap but I think the water pressure is too strong, therefore it trips. Have to drain the filter casing and think of something else - that's when I make the photo. Thank you Bama Rambler.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.