Pentair Legend II Kreepy Krauly keeps getting stuck

squirk

Sep 9, 2016
Southeast Louisiana
Had this thing for about four years. Recently, it keeps getting stuck on stairs, odd corners, or the hose coupling in the pool wall. I am wasting electricity having the cleaner pump running for two hours with the cleaner stuck in one place (unless I manually free it). And, of course, the pool is not getting cleaned properly.

Inspecting the unit, I can see no problems. Wheels spin at normal rate, rubber treads are fine, suction is still good. When I free the cleaner from being stuck, it shoots off and works as it should....until it eventually loops around and comes back to a stair, corner or the wall coupling and gets stuck again.

My best guess is that the backup valve on the hose is not working properly to back the cleaner out of these trouble spots, but I am not sure how to confirm before I drop $50 on a new valve. I have opened the valve housing, and the gearbox appears to be spinning freely as it should. I am not sure if the gearbox is becoming dislodged inside the housing once it is in the pool and tumbles around a bit.

I would welcome any other suggestions on troubleshooting this problem, or verifying that the backup valve is indeed the culprit.

Thanks much!

You don’t want to hear my fix for your problem. A Dolphin robot. I replaced your exact vacuum setup this year for one. Night and day difference. And great to eliminate booster pump. Maybe someone will provide you with a cheaper answer and if it is in fact the backup valve.

You don’t want to hear my fix for your problem. A Dolphin robot. I replaced your exact vacuum setup this year for one. Night and day difference. And great to eliminate booster pump. Maybe someone will provide you with a cheaper answer and if it is in fact the backup valve.

Thanks. Yeah, if I thought the unit itself was on the way out, I'd look at a Dolphin as a possible replacement. But if the unit is fine, and it's just a matter of a $50 valve.....

I guess I could buy a new valve off Amazon, and return it if it does not solve the problem. I never like doing that, though.

Had this thing for about four years. Recently, it keeps getting stuck on stairs, odd corners, or the hose coupling in the pool wall. I am wasting electricity having the cleaner pump running for two hours with the cleaner stuck in one place (unless I manually free it). And, of course, the pool is not getting cleaned properly.

Inspecting the unit, I can see no problems. Wheels spin at normal rate, rubber treads are fine, suction is still good. When I free the cleaner from being stuck, it shoots off and works as it should....until it eventually loops around and comes back to a stair, corner or the wall coupling and gets stuck again.

My best guess is that the backup valve on the hose is not working properly to back the cleaner out of these trouble spots, but I am not sure how to confirm before I drop $50 on a new valve. I have opened the valve housing, and the gearbox appears to be spinning freely as it should. I am not sure if the gearbox is becoming dislodged inside the housing once it is in the pool and tumbles around a bit.

I would welcome any other suggestions on troubleshooting this problem, or verifying that the backup valve is indeed the culprit.

Thanks much!
Same problem. Pool is about 10 years old. Robot started acting up a few years ago. At first I replaced all the swivel joints and that helped, but still not great. This year after initial pool opening, I washed the filter elements but the Legene II still got stuck almost immediately. I changed the filter elements and BAM! it works just like new. So the problem was not enough water flow all along. The filter elements clog up over time and even after hosing them off periodically, they apparently never get back to "as new" condition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.