Pump losing suction when I redirect water to solar panels

Good evening.

I have the following scenario:

My 1.5hpa swmming pool pump losing suction when I redirect water to my solar panels.

If I do not use the solar panels, the pump is working excellent.

My 6 x solar panels is on the roof of a double story house. I want to use the panels to warmup the water but looks asif something is not correct.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum:wave:

Before you direct the water into the panels, is there water sloshing in the pump strainer basket? (pump running)

How about after you direct the water to the panels.....does the water begin to slosh in the pump strainer basket?

Welcome to the forum:wave:

Before you direct the water into the panels, is there water sloshing in the pump strainer basket? (pump running)

How about after you direct the water to the panels.....does the water begin to slosh in the pump strainer basket?

Before I direct the water into the panels, the pump strainer basket fills up quickly to the top with basically no bubbles and my pool cleanr (MX8) is running very good, but while the pump is running and I re-direct the water to the panels, I noticed two things:
1) The activity in the pump strainer basket get much less and my pool cleaner stops running. The pump strainer basket remains filled to the top however.

If I stop the pump and change the valve to re-direct the water to the panels and then start the pump, I noticed minimal water is enetering the pump strainer basket - even after 3 minutes. To safe gaurd the pump I stopped it and reposition the valve.

I hope it make sense to you.

If I close the white in-line valve halfway (to re-direct the water to to grey pipe which goes into the ground which goes to the solar panels on the roof.), then I noticed my pool cleaner stops to run and the level of water in the pump filter container drops to at least halfway. When the timer stops the pump, I also noticed alot of water is pushed back to the swimming pool weir - in such away it removes the lid completely.

Regarding valves and flow direction valves - there are only one on top of the roof - very close to the panes.

Ok - here are a few pictures of my setup as requested:

Sorry guys - I tried to upload 4 photos multiple times without any success.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.