Mesa/AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
I've visited TFP many times and love the comments and suggestions on this site. I finally ran into an issue I'm trying to decipher without getting hit with an expensive "recommendation" that then turns into a very expensive hunting expedition. So, I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community.

First, I live in Mesa Az. Weather has cooled considerably the past week or so. Also experienced some of the Santa Ana's that were complicating the fires in CA. Yes, we feel it in AZ and especially where I reside. I live on an acre plus and my pool has total exposure to the elements. A small breeze in a typical subdivision is amplified in my surroundings. Humidity has been low as well, in the teens.

I'm trying to determine if I have a leak vs evaporation. I did a bucket test and I am losing more in the pool. Going to observe another day to gain a better idea of just how much. Pool has dropped about 1 inch per day the past 3. Normally I would give it 1/2 inch tops, in extreme conditions. And while it has been breezy at night and temps cooling, it seems the drop is a bit excessive. I have lived with this pool for 17 years...12 since we remodeled it.

I'm pretty familiar with maintaining and operating the pool equipment. I've installed new motors, pvc fittings, filter, grids, etc. Keep my chemicals in check. I'm not that familiar with the overall structure of the pool.

I'm trying to evaluate as the pool level drops. I turned off the valves to spa, as to try and isolate it. See if the levels fall at different rates. If so, assuming the spa retains water better than the rest of the pool, can I conclude the problem is not in the spa area and focus on the pool?

Being its a bit cooler out, I'm going to continue letting the pool level drop with equipment off. If needed, past the level of the returns. Not sure that tells my anything, or if it drops beyond returns and the rate of the drop subsides, would that indicate a leaky return fitting?

I'm really guessing here folks. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff,

Welcome to TFP... A great resource for all your pool maintenance questions, whether you are really chunky or not... :shark:

An inch a day sounds like a leak to me...

In my mind the first step is to see if it leaks with the pump off vs. the pump on.

If it leaks with the pump off, then just let it leak and see where it stops... It would normally stop just below the skimmer for a skimmer issue, and at the light for a light issue, and if it goes below that then I would be looking at a main drain issue.

If it only leaks when the pump is on, then I would be looking at a leaky multi-port valve or an in-ground plumbing leak.

I assume there is no obvious wet spot in the yard...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. No obvious signs around the area. It does not seem to matter if pump is on or off. Everything is off at the moment(since Thursday).

One thought that came to my mind was perhaps a return. When I was adjusting one of them a while back, I twisted out the sleeve, not just the eyeball. Is there a possibility it can leak at one of the returns inside the pool? I don't know the wall structure well enough.

Jeff

Jeff,

The sides of a gunite pool are about 6" thick. When they install return lines, they generally pack plaster in a depression around the pipe that is a inch or two deep. The plaster is what makes the pipe water tight.

I would not think that a leak around a return pipe and the dirt outside the pool would be 1" a day. But, I would let in drain down and see if it stops just below the return..

With the pump off you can inject some pool leak dye in the water and see if it gets sucked into, or around, the suspect return line... This time a year it might be a little chilly to get in the pool to do it.. :p

Something like what is shown in this link... Amazon.com : Anderson Manufacturing FT601 Dye Tester Pre-Filled : Garden Outdoor

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks again Jim.

I thought the walls were fairly thick. Perhaps I just pulled the extension sleeve off that they needed when it was remodeled because I think that added some additional thickness to the wall when we converted to pebble.

I will try the dye at various fittings and light as it drops. And yes, it is chilly. I fell in it on New Years a few years ago with sweats on, and yeah, it's cold.

Will update again tomorrow or following day as I monitor the amount of loss.

Jeff

Just a follow up. Had some rain last night into today. Kind of messed up my water levels. Spa is retaining with valves closed to isolate it. Pool has dropped some. It is below skimmer now, so curious to see if it continues at current rate or subsides. Will be able to monitor better in the next 48 hours. Rain supposed to move off to the east.

Jeff