Electrical Help for Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump

JZeld

Oct 13, 2012
I've finally decided to replace my current pool pump with a variable speed pump, the Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS. I need to upgrade the dedicated circuit from 115V, what the prior pump ran on, to 230V. I'm trying to buy the parts for the electrician so that it will take as little time to put in as possible and, hopefully, save some money. My understanding is that I can run the 230V on the existing 12/2 (with ground) line. As for the circuit breaker, I'm thinking I need to go from the current 20 amp single pole breaker to a double pole 30 amp breaker. Does that sound correct? The pump is only specced for 6.9 amps though. Also, does the breaker need to be GFCI? Thanks in advance for any help!

Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump, 230 Volt, Single Phase

Unlike the Pentair pump manuals, I don't see a listing for wiring gauge in the Hayward manual. However, it does have the following information:

Electrical Specs
1. Voltage: 230VAC, 60Hz, Single Phase
2. Amps: 0.4 - 10.0
3. Speed Range: 600-3450 rpm

So it appears that the max current draw is a little higher than you had considered. I would imagine 12/2 with ground would be sufficient.

Thanks! I think I'll be fine with the 30 amp breaker. Since it is a dedicated circuit, does it matter that it is 12/2 and won't go above 10 amps, or does it require 10/2 because the breaker is 30 amps? Also, anyone know if it needs to be GFI?

Any idea on whether it needs a GFCI?
Unlike the Pentair pump manuals, I don't see a listing for wiring gauge in the Hayward manual. However, it does have the following information:

Electrical Specs
1. Voltage: 230VAC, 60Hz, Single Phase
2. Amps: 0.4 - 10.0
3. Speed Range: 600-3450 rpm

So it appears that the max current draw is a little higher than you had considered. I would imagine 12/2 with ground would be sufficient.

jz,

The size of the circuit breaker is determined by the wire, not the pump. You need to use a 20 amp GFCI breaker. The pump will work just fine on a 20 amp service..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, Jim! Does the 20 amp GFCI breaker need to be 2-pole? I'm guessing that it needs to be 2-pole since it will need two circuits for the 230v?

jz,

The size of the circuit breaker is determined by the wire, not the pump. You need to use a 20 amp GFCI breaker. The pump will work just fine on a 20 amp service..

Thanks,

Jim R.

jz,

Jim nailed it on both answers...you need a Siemens 20amp GFCI DP Breaker. However, a couple of things.

You need to go to your breaker box and determine what type breakers you can install. Also, look in the installation guide of the Tri-Star and it will spec'out the type breakers you need, but the breaker box dictates what type breakers. Most of the Hayward Automation panels use 3-4 diff types, w the Siemens being #1, then SQ D next, all DP GFCI.

Do note that when you go to a VSP drive, you are going to have a different animal than a 1 or 2 speed pump.. Variable speeds have a real tight tolerance range btw 4-6ma, then they start tripping the breaker.

Post back if cannot find the exact breaker model #, but your installation guide should post them - tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.