Will high level of chlorine damage pebbletec / pebblesheen?

May 3, 2013
Sarasota,FL
Hello,

We are in process of having our pool cage painted and rescreened. Yesterday, they pressure washed the very dirty cage with a bleachy-smelling solution. I wasn't concerned at first because I figured it would just raise my chlorine levels. After they left, I went out to look around and vacuum my pool. Well, my strainer handle broke and when I backwashed my sand filter, the top handle was hard to turn. After backwashing it soon because clear that something inside is damaged as when I moved it back to the filter setting, water poured out the backwash line.... So, I'm thinking the filter top will have to be replaced, which I did years ago on another filter when it had a similar issue.... but my main concern here is what is the super-high level of chlorine doing to the surface? I am thinking that both of these items breaking on the same day is caused by the high chloring level..... My surface is aqua blue pebblesheen and has been installed for about three months. I've noticed that the chlorine level drops very slowly now even in SW Florida. I used my pool-store test kit and it was way darker than the shade for 5.0 ppm. PH is at 7.6. I don't have any way of knowing what the chlorine is other than it is much higher than 5.0. Any insight is appreciated!

It is unlikely that it was bleach they would have used - that would have killed most of your plants if sprayed on them. Could you call them in the morning and find out what they used?

As you do not have a proper test kit we do not know if your chlorine is high or not. Your pool surface will take well above shock level before damage.

I suggest you get your self a proper test kit. Having been a member on this forum for 4 years -- I would suspect you already know that!

Take care.

I wouldn't think that overspray from a cleaning solution could cause super high chlorine levels. If it did, they did something very wrong.

Either way, you really need to get an fasdpd test kit.

Most likely, the cause of the hard to turn multiport was due to grit from the new plaster and grit from pressure washing.

The grit gets it the valve and causes it to jam up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.