Balancing water and adding Calcium Chloride ?

Nov 29, 2017
Rocklin, CA
I just received and started using the TF100 test kit which replaced my Taylor k-2005 kit (which did not have CH test reagents). I was told 12 years ago this kit would be all I would really need to take care of the pool. From reading the posts/responses I know that is now incorrect. My pool has been well maintained and the water looks great, however I notice white deposits around the pool perimeter on the tile and flagstone. I had the pool perimeter sandblasted in 2015. I have noticed that it is coming back. Would this be caused by low CH??? I never tested for CH until I got the TF100 kit. Here are the numbers on my pool which has an elevated spa with 3 spillways & 2 skimmers.

FC- 6.5
CC- 0
TC- 7
pH- 7.3
TA- 100
CH- 200
CYA- 30
SALT- 4600 (AR-T15 Cell is 12+ years old which gave me a faulty reading causing me to dump more salt in than what is needed...T15 cell will soon be replaced)...Any recommendations on where to purchase this?

I have turned the SWG down to 10%...should I just turn it off and monitor FC?

From reading multiple posts to stay away from pool stores...where should I buy calcium chloride to up CH level to the 350-450 range? What brand name is better than others etc?

Test your fill water, I imagine it's low unless you get a lot of rain. If your fill water is high ch you will want to target the low end of ch.

Check ice melt, get close to 98% calc cl as possible, do some searching on here and some brand names will show up.

Be absolutely sure you are doing your CH test correctly.
See Pool School - Calcium Hardness

Do test your fill water - you can skip FC and CYA. There will be no CYA as tap water does not have any.

Your first post implied you have scale. But your test results do not show you have a tendency for that.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.