Got test kit, super high FC and CYA!

pcm2a

Aug 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, Tn
Moved into a new house with a pool. After the pool guy used the puck method all summer I saw on here what a bad plan that was. I got in a K-2006C test kit and some of the numbers were shocking. I also had a pool store test the water to double confirm the CYA levels. It is winter in Nashville, high of 42 and low of 25 so the pool is running but obviously isn't being used by humans.

FC: 25
CYA: 110
pH: 7.4
AK: 100
CAH: 200

My question is there any reason to act on the high free chlorine and CYA before next spring? Eventually the FC should come down as long as I check it regularly and then I can keep it at a more reasonable level using bleach NOT pucks. My other idea is from backwashing, filling the pool and rain that CYA may come down by next April. If it isn't to a better spot by then I could refill some of the pool.

Thanks for that link, that is great to know. The pool does have a raised spa that I can heat up! I used it a few weeks ago when I was still unaware of my chemical levels. As the summer got hotter in August/September the pool guy was putting in so many tablets. He said it was because of the heat....but more likely it was because the CYA had already gotten so high!

Just leave the fc, let it drift down and possibly leave the pool uncovered so the sun can try to burn some of the fc off. Keep the fc above 12 or so untill spring and retest cya then, hopefully it drops to the 90-100 range by then and use the chart. If your pool goes green drain half the pool and refill, then slam.

Even better than waiting or taking the chance of the pool going green you should keep your FC just above the min. level for your current CYA. As Spring comes closer keep an eye on your water temp. Once it starts heading towards 60 you should retest your CYA. IF your CYA is still above 80 then use Pool Math to see how much you need to drain to bring it down.

Do you have a SWG? How do you plan on adding FC now since you know the "danger" of the pucks?

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.