Upgrades/Additions Payment Expectations

HmnRcn

Mar 30, 2014
Visalia, CA
I just want to get some opinions or experience on what people have seen as far as payment in additions or upgrades to their original contract. We signed our initial contract back in October with a set payment schedule. After looking at the design and our budget, we have since added a few items and I have asked several times for a written Addendum to the contract. A month or so ago my PB sent me a picture of his notes on a Post It note with “due at gunite” written on it. I have asked him at least 4 times for the printed Addendum. We made the gunite payment about two weeks ago (per the contract). He texted me yesterday stating he finally had the Addendum printed and wanted to come by today to have it signed and stated again that the payment was due back when I wrote the check at completion of gunite.

I am going to tell him I’m not paying for any additions or upgrades until they are all completed. Is this the normal situation or am I being Hard Headed. Any comments or experiences are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

In my experience with builders, any thing above the base or original contract is fully paid for at time of the change order.

Others may have other input --

My changes were additional decking and swapping the pump. My PB expected payment for the changes as soon as they were completed/installed. In the case of the decking, I did have about a week because they needed someone to come out and measure the additional sq. ft. we added on. I hope that helps :)

We had a slight design change that required a couple more / different steel panels after the original steel had already been delivered. Paid the overage as soon as we signed the change order.

Thank you all for your responses! It looks like I’m going to pay once I sign the Addendum to the contract. It just bothers me that I have had to request this multiple times and he is looking at me as if I am just not paying. I appreciate everyone helping to level me out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.