Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borax, Borates, and my dog?

1. Back To Top    #1

Borax, Borates, and my dog?

I have had the most successful and trouble free pool summer since I started the BBB method when I replaced my liner in June!

But, I am confused about the use of borax to raise PH, (which I haven't had to do since my initial filling of my new liner) and this thing about borates. I think I understand that Borax for PH increase adds borates, but not in the amount as in with those wanting borates in the pool for other purposes. I ask because I have read that borates are dangerous to dogs that occasionally lap up pool water. When just used to increase PH, is that amount considered dangerous to dogs?

Since everyone here is using BBB, I assume some also have their pets swimming in their pool. I just want to be sure.

Thanks!
    Jerry

24' X 52" Vogue Impact AGP - 13,500 gal. (Installed 2001) - Jacuzzi Laser 225 sand filter w/7 way valve, 1-1/2 hp pump - "The Step" single center rail steps - "Zoomerang" deck mounted AG slide w/adjustable water flow - "Aqualuminator" return fitting pool light w/fountain attachment
    Taylor 2005 Test Kit w/add-on FAS chlorine test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borax, Borates, and my dog?

There is no risk if you are just using borax for PH. The quantities are far smaller then when adding borates to the pool. Even when using borates around 50 , your pet would need to get the great majority of their water from the pool before there would be any risk of a problem. Occasional sips of pool water should be discoraged, but aren't a problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Our Yellow Lab swims in our pool ..... but before we switched to the BBB method and used liquid bleach she used to be a Black Lab

Just kidding !!
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

You are so funny Tiz Me! Thank goodness I didn't have a mouth full of beer when reading that! I'd have to clean my screen!

My black lab swims in our pool. She is also the main reason why I have not added borates to the water just because she does get a mouthful of water when swimming. I'd just rather be safe than sorry with her and forgo borates for the time being.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry Casey, I couldnt resist the urge
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by TizMe
    Our Yellow Lab swims in our pool ..... but before we switched to the BBB method and used liquid bleach she used to be a Black Lab

Just kidding !!
    That, is a good one!

Thanks Jason, Tiz, and Casey. I thought it should be safe.
    Jerry

24' X 52" Vogue Impact AGP - 13,500 gal. (Installed 2001) - Jacuzzi Laser 225 sand filter w/7 way valve, 1-1/2 hp pump - "The Step" single center rail steps - "Zoomerang" deck mounted AG slide w/adjustable water flow - "Aqualuminator" return fitting pool light w/fountain attachment
    Taylor 2005 Test Kit w/add-on FAS chlorine test kit