Freeze protection for Autofill reservoir

Dec 5, 2017
TX
I have a Pentair autofill plumbed to a sprinkler zone. Live in Texas so not shutting down the pool for winter. The pool has freeze protection to run the pumps and alternate valves to keep the water running generally, which takes care of the skimmers. But the autofill valve sits in a reservoir like a skimmer and I am concerned there will not be enough moving water there to prevent freezing. There is only an equalizer pipe between the autofill and the rest of the pool. Anyone else have this setup and if so, what if anything do you do to prevent the water inside the autofill from freezing and cracking it?

I don’t worry about it. It would take days of sub-freezing temps for the water in the pot to freeze. Plus, with all the TDS in the water, the freezing point is depressed a little anyway. It’s really not a big deal in southern climates unless you get sustained crazy-cold weather....

Even though I know the auto fill would probably be ok, here is what I did. I took a box and covers the auto fill. Inside the box i put a packet of hand warmer in a bowl. I figured that would raise the air temp right at the auto fill a degree to three. Might do nothing. But might be something. :)

eb8c3c11141fd43ee722d18c39e687b8.jpg

Just covering will most likely take care of the issue for you. Not sure the hand warmer will last very long!!!

Take care.

Shingles, you could always run an extension cord w a 60 watt bulb on it and put under box...that should do the trick,,,of course, this is only plugged into a GFCI outlet and all kids/other are warned, maybe any pets that could possible like to chew, but unlikely outside w 20-25 degree weather...

I too covered up my 4 citrus trees w huge thick black bags and placed a string of Christmas lights inside them and tied bags to lower trunk, then put 1" pipe insulation on trunks from bag to ground...if they freeze again like the 15 degrees last yr, I'm out of the citrus tree business :)

PS - I really like the distance you have btw your house and the res, hope it stays that way for you buy that would be tough. that looks like far West/NW Katy or Montgomery Cty area..we are in west Houston

tstex - we are in an acreage community. I have two acres. The houses on my side of the street are all 2 acres. We are in Richmond, just south of Great Wood.

I thought about putting in a light. But I just didn't have enough time to mess with it. I am hoping this works out... I am thinking it should be ok. They got it pretty hard last year and we had to trim a lot back to save them. Hopefully they make it this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.