Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor test kit 2006 CYA test

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor test kit 2006 CYA test

I have had my Taylor test kit for 3 years now and the bottom of the cya side of the comparator is slightly cloudy limiting the view of the black dot and I am wondering if that will throw off my cya test results. I figure since the clouding of the dot starts before you put in the water it will give me a high CYA as I will loose sight of the dot quicker than I should. Is there a way to get that clean or should I just buy a new one?
    Inground Grecian 20,000 gallons vinyl liner
    Hayward 250 BTU Propane heater
    Hayward DE Filter
    1 HP Northstar Pump
    Spill Over Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor test kit 2006 CYA test

If you cannnot clean the cloudiness out of the comparator then you should order a new one from Taylor. Make sure to keep the new one clean. The small comparator that comes on the comparator block of the k-2006 (AND the K-2005 block as well) is easy to wipe out with a cotton swab after each use AFTER a thorough rinsing in fresh water.

I suspect that you did not rinse out the comparator well ( or at all) and let the liquid dry inside the tube, allowing the melamine cyanurate to form an insoluble deposit inside the tube.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Taylor test kit 2006 CYA test

I was able to find a cleanser that cleared up the black spot on the bottom of the CYA test. It is amazing the difference in the results. Before I cleaned the comparator my CYA read 90 and after cleaning it I got a reading of 50. So the cloudiness did make a big difference. For any interested parties the cleaner I used was LA Totally Awesome which can be found at any Dollar Tree stores. My wife swears by this stuff and it pulled through for me.
    Inground Grecian 20,000 gallons vinyl liner
    Hayward 250 BTU Propane heater
    Hayward DE Filter
    1 HP Northstar Pump
    Spill Over Spa