Another New Pool in Austin, TX

Dec 6, 2017
Austin / Tx
I'm a new pool owner in Texas. This is first post for me here, since I just found this site.

I'm not sure of pool size at the moment. Many pool builder issues, not finished, cracks apparent and builder being not very attentive to finishing this project, etc.
I got water in the pool toward the end of August, used the pool with grand-kids for a few weeks and then went out of town for the next 2 months. Before we left town, we hired another pool service, since the builder's guy wasn't very helpful. Not sure where the problem occurred with CYA, but we are currently running at 110, which I am now finding out is pretty high. Service guy has said we will just start dumping water, while he keeps adding tabs. I don't really want to be pouring water and $$ down the drain, since water here is very $$$. I made the decision today to start testing water and running a check on the service company and their quality. I would do all myself, but we travel a bit, and I don't want to leave the pool for weeks by itself.

Any suggestions on pool test kits and what to do about high CYA?

Get your self a nice test kit, either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006C. Read through pool school and understand where your levels should be. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry is a good place to start.

Once you understand what works best in your pool find a service to maintain it for you while your gone. Tell them how you want it maintained.

In TX I would think about adding a SWG (salt water chlorine generator), it will make maintaining your pool much easier. Look for one rated at least 2x the size of your pool.

Welcome! I have two brothers in Austin!

Easy way forward pool chemistry wise for you.

1. Test kit, tf100 or Taylor 2006c
2. Full test, and post
3. Drain water to manage high cya, that's from solid clorine tabs by the way
4. Start using liquid clorine/bleach to maintain pool
5. Enjoy

After you get the liquid clorine part down, when you travel you have some options:

A. Salt water clorine generator
B. Liquid clorine injection pump
C. Good friend to come by and pour in bleach daily
D. (Advanced user) Run 30 cya and use a floater when gone, Texas heat is typical to run 50 cya in the summer so you will be doing a little math and testing when you get back to keep cya under 50. Cya does slowly go down over time (5 ppm or less a month)so if you peak at 50 during the summer and limit how many tabs you use it can work, but there is a yearly limit on how many tabs you can use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.