Interesting Salt Level Trend

Seadweller

Aug 21, 2009
Tampa Bay Area
About a month ago, I converted my pool to a salt system. I had the pool store test my water for an initial salt level to get a bearing on how much salt I would need, and to my surprise, it turned out to be 2,600ppm. The folks at the pool store said that a salt system must have been in place before, as they've never measured a salt level that high in a non-saltwater pool. We had the pool remodeled around 4 years ago, so it was a fresh fill, therefore the level didn't come from a prior salt system installation.

I brought the salt level up to 3,200, then carefully added small amounts on a daily basis until I reached 3,500ppm, as recommended by the make of my salt system. I've added a bit of water to the pool, and we've also had some rain, but oddly enough, my salt level is slowing rising rather than falling. After two days of rain, the controller is now reading 3,800ppm. While not out of range for the salt system, particularly based on recommendations here, I wonder if the salt level will continue to rise. But, more importantly, why?

I live on a salt-water canal that leads to Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, so I wonder if that could have impacted my initial salt reading, and perhaps be contributing to the rise in salt levels? It doesn't seem to make complete sense, but I figured it might provide a clue to this mystery.

Thoughts?

Seadweller:

It is highly recommended you order your own salt test kit (Taylor K-1766) for salt. Always test your own water and try to stay away from pool stores at all costs. Either your fill water is high in salt, or you were using straight liquid chlorine for about 6 years in your pool (or a combination of). My pool water, in the 3rd season felt softer, without any additions. Tested the water myself while the my system was converted to an SWG, and added the salt in stages, not to go over recommended levels. It is always easier to add salt, then to remove water.

I just received my shipment of stuff from TF Testkits, but completely forgot the kit for testing salt...Arghh...Guess I'll get that on order...

I did use bleach for a few years before converting to salt, so perhaps that answers the mystery of the high salt content to begin with. Maybe the fill water is also high in salt content. I'm just surprise it has gone up even after the rain we've had, which I assume would have diluted the pool somewhat.

It is best to confirm salt readings with the Taylor salt test kit. The strips are not as accurate either. Then you can confirm that your cell is reading the salt level properly. Also, out of curiosity, test your fill water for salt and post the results. Did you by chance order the speed stir?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.