How many TFP'ers does it take to change a lightbulb...

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
...that's in the ceiling above the pool?

There are currently 4 fixtures with BR30 incandescent bulbs. They still work, but I want to swap them for LED's. (multi-color smart bulbs)

I've never used an extended bulb changer, but I assume I'll have to be in the pool while I do this, and on the deep-end slope no less.

I'm not assuming that the old bulbs will even come out. Based on the previous owners maintenance habits, they've been in there a long time.

Complicating matters is that fact that the bulbs I want cost $50 ea. No-one wants broken glass in their pool, but I really don't want to break a $50 bulb, or two, or three.

Help!

My plan:

Buy a changer. I'd like to find an adapter so I could use my nice pool pole instead of junking up the garage with something that I may never use again. Turn off power, keep the cover on the pool but fold it over so I can get as close as possible. If a bulb drops, I'd prefer it hit the cover instead of the water. If the bulbs come out, THEN I'll spring for the LED's, coat the bases with dialectric grease and install them.

Any advice?

Time to start calling friends! I would find a couple/few that will let you use their ladders. See if any one has the kind that can be made into scaffolding. This will get you higher, allow you to keep the cover on the pool, keep you out of the water, etc.

Even if you have to use a couple ladders with thick wood between them to walk on I think that would be better than trying to do this from inside the pool.

I worry you will not have the leverage or control needed to get the bulbs out and not dropping them.

Kim:kim:

I would second Kim's suggestion. How far across is your pool in that area? I'd rig up some scaffolding to do that, being in the pool is going to be tough, and having used one of those bulb changers on a pole (on some recessed lights, not sure exactly what kind you're talking about) they're a giant pain and have a tendency to get stuck on the bulb, on the ceiling, and come off the pole.

Proper scaffolding can be rented from a yard that caters to the contractor crowd. At no point should you ever consider having anything you are standing on submerged in water while you mess with electricity. Breakers thrown or not, it’s just not safe.

Scaffolding is the only proper way to do it.

67df4ee2f85f13358f350182d630faef.jpg

This photo always in a local OSHA annual 10 hour certificate course.. for some reason it came to mind [emoji12]

Swimming against the current here. (see what I did there? ;) )

If you can be sure you know which breaker to turn off and you can find a good lamp holder that fits those BR30 lamps securely (there are plenty of good quality units out there), there's nothing wrong with changing the lamps out standing in the pool. In fact, dropping one in the pool would be a lot better than dropping one on the deck, or on a pick board over the pool. Dropping a cooled lamp in the pool will cushion the fall and not shatter the bulb. And they float.

If you plan on using dielectric grease on the base of the new lamps, just make sure it's dielectric grease. We had a guy use anti-seize on some lamp bases one time. Yeah, and it was the copper based stuff too! Can you guess what happened when he turned the breaker back on? Let's just say that he spent several hours of his own time cleaning it up so that the breaker didn't trip every time you closed it.

Swimming against the current here. (see what I did there? ;) )

lol well done.

I wouldn't go near them while in the pool unless the breaker was off. Darwin is NOT welcome in my home - I promise!

The "bulb grabbers" that I see also appear to be mostly, if not entirely plastic.

I took a closer look at the cans and bulbs last night, and there's not much clearance. I'm not sure a grabber will even fit around the bulb. Maybe I'll be better off waiting until one burns out and then going the scaffolding way... I dunno. It would be really nice to have multi-color, efficient bulbs up there. I realize that $50 bulbs will never pay for themselves, but I find myself keeping the pool in the dark to save energy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
lol well done.

I wouldn't go near them while in the pool unless the breaker was off. Darwin is NOT welcome in my home - I promise!

The "bulb grabbers" that I see also appear to be mostly, if not entirely plastic.

I took a closer look at the cans and bulbs last night, and there's not much clearance. I'm not sure a grabber will even fit around the bulb. Maybe I'll be better off waiting until one burns out and then going the scaffolding way... I dunno. It would be really nice to have multi-color, efficient bulbs up there. I realize that $50 bulbs will never pay for themselves, but I find myself keeping the pool in the dark to save energy.
Yeah, my main concern is the grabber getting stuck between the can and the light, that's the issue I've had.

If you're going to stand in the pool I'd get as close to proper lock out tag out and live dead live checks as I could (a good idea in any situation, really).

I would also use a fiberglass and plastic pole.

I personally wouldn't have concerns if I did it this way, except for the grabber part getting stuck.

This is timely.. I just got a request to change bulbs at a commercial pool..
I am going to sell the job & hire an electrical contractor to do it.. can I change a lightbulb? I hope so..
But given the things I have seen go wrong, corrosion from air quality & general wackiness from staff "bandaids," staging OSHA & Murphy's law, I'd rather write a check & be done.

I won't be there, I'll be way too busy swimming in Florida!! .. the electrical contractor I team with/hire will stage , scaffold the job site & execute the work to a degree that will make mike holt proud..

The most important thing I ever learned is "what I don't know" [emoji41]

I won't be there, I'll be way too busy swimming in Florida!! .. the electrical contractor I team with/hire will stage , scaffold the job site & execute the work to a degree that will make mike holt proud..

Can he shoot you some pictures to post? That would really be helpful.

What part of FL??

You are a smart man! Knowing what you don't know!

Kim:kim:

He will use an laterally articulated boom, that's what he calls it anyway..

I've seen him use it before it's like a low profile cherry picker that can extend up down & sideways.. the work will be done in a large aquatic facility. & he anticipates corrosion complications etc..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.