Cartridge filter threads binding

Sep 18, 2012
Lake Nona, Florida
The threaded collar that holds the halves of our filter together has gotten progressively harder and harder to operate. Initially it was just hard to assemble, but this time it was very hard to remove. I actually ended up using a block of wood and a hammer on it. I'm inclined to give it a bit of silicon or teflon lubricant spray before putting it together again. Has anyone else had this happen as the filter aged? Is lubricant the answer?

... seen filters launch over rooftops.

OK... say more please? What kind of failure mode is possible here and why are binding threads an indicator?

The filter has a threaded slip ring that binds now, I'll inspect the threads again but they seem to have plenty of engagement and don't look stripped to me. I guess the fact they bind up does indicate wear though... do these filters have a history of catastrophic failure? To launch it would seem that an inch or so of threads would need to shear and not leak at the o-ring first.

hmm...

- - - Updated - - -

FYI... I see there are a few types of cartridge filters and threads... this is what mine looks like.
https://www.jandy.com/en/products/filters/cs

As the retaining ring gets tightened or loosened, the top get moved up or down. It might just be a dry O-ring. Try lubricating the inside lip of the bottom half of the filter so that the O-ring in the top half slips up or down easily. Use Silicone lube like Magic Lube II (Red label, not blue label). Make sure that the o-ring is clean. It’s in the top half under the retaining ring.

Also make sure that the threads are clean and not gummed up. If they are gummed up, clean them with silicone spray lubricant and a brush.

Make sure that the threads are not damaged or being cross-threaded.

Thanks JamesW. - if James advice doesn't fly, then replace.
I made the remarks to replace, before I saw the link posted & saw it is a molded/collar tank.
I presumed it was a bolt/clamp band, I don't play games with those.

As the retaining ring gets tightened or loosened, the top get moved up or down. It might just be a dry O-ring. Try lubricating the inside lip of the bottom half of the filter so that the O-ring in the top half slips up or down easily. Use Silicone lube like Magic Lube II (Red label, not blue label). Make sure that the o-ring is clean. It’s in the top half under the retaining ring.

Also make sure that the threads are clean and not gummed up. If they are gummed up, clean them with silicone spray lubricant and a brush.

Make sure that the threads are not damaged or being cross-threaded.

I've got to take a closer look in the light tomorrow. I was able to get the ring completely off and the two halves of the cylinder were still fit tight with the o-ring sealing. It took a bit to even get those separated. We did let this go a little longer between cleaning this time but not a lot more. As noted I also thought I was going to find cross-thread damage or something gummy after I need a hammer to drive the ring off. It's almost like the entire thing got a little oval? (if that happens)

I'll hit it with some cleaner and a silicon lube and see.

Still not completely clear what happened here but the silicon spray did the trick.
The surfaces had no substantial wear or dirt but after a couple sprays and a little cleaning the assembly turned easily and locked fine.

Thanks all. (And thanks for the warning about these things launching if not properly assembled)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.