Chlorine tabs in skimmer basket

Hi, welcome to TFP! You may see less impact of keeping a chlorine tablet in the skimmer if you keep the pump running 24/7. When the pump is off and the tablet is just sitting, the water in skimmer becomes very highly chlorinated and the pH in the skimmer drops as the tablet dissolves. While it may not cause problems for some pools, the overall potential for harm is great enough for us to discourage the practice overall.

Hi, I have my first pool and I too have been putting a single Trichlor tab in the skimmer basket every week for about 5 months. My pump is not leaking, but have I already done damage? Or is this something that would take a long time to see negative effects? Thanks.

Re: I have used chlorine tabs in skimmer basket for years

Hi, I have my first pool and I too have been putting a single Trichlor tab in the skimmer basket every week for about 5 months. My pump is not leaking, but have I already done damage? Or is this something that would take a long time to see negative effects? Thanks.

Your signature states you have a SWCG - so why do you use tablets?

And I would recommend you immediately discontinue putting a tablet in your skimmer basket. It will degrade your plastic skimmer housing as well as impact your pump internals.

In the future consider starting a new thread on a subject rather than posting to a thread over three years old.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.