31k pool, 12 bags in, estimated 20 bags, when to start up swg?

Oct 14, 2015
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Dumped 12 bags of 40lb salt into the pool. It’s currently dissolving. I have a 31k pool. My estimates is that the pool should take 20 bags total (800 lbs).

the pool salt content before was less than 400ppm of salt (plaster was redone and pool refilled earlier this year).

I am debating on dumping the last 3 bags I have in (bringing it to 15 bags total) and starting up the swg to see if itself likes the salt content vs dumping in my calculated amount early.

would starting the swg with 3/4 of the calculated salt hurt the cell? It’s a circupool rj. Thanks.

Pemolis- You didn't mention how much salt the SWG device asks for. They vary a bit, some want more and some less. Pool Math app says in a 31K gallon pool that to go from your previous 400ppm of salt up to 3,000ppm takes 674 pounds of salt. So just about 17 bags.

Look up in your SWG manual how much salt the device requires and go from there. I'd also re-test before adding any more but wait a day to let what you've added dissolve and mix.

DO NOT turn the SWG on until all salt is dissolved and mixed.. better to wait an extra day rather than risk damage to the cell by sending a bolus of undissolved salt thru it.

Maddie :flower:

Addendum: do you have the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit? You should test your salt independently of what the device says... they lie some times , LOL :geek:

Pemolis- You didn't mention how much salt the SWG device asks for. They vary a bit, some want more and some less. Pool Math app says in a 31K gallon pool that to go from your previous 400ppm of salt up to 3,000ppm takes 674 pounds of salt. So just about 17 bags.

Look up in your SWG manual how much salt the device requires and go from there. I'd also re-test before adding any more but wait a day to let what you've added dissolve and mix.

DO NOT turn the SWG on until all salt is dissolved and mixed.. better to wait an extra day rather than risk damage to the cell by sending a bolus of undissolved salt thru it.

Maddie :flower:

Addendum: do you have the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit? You should test your salt independently of what the device says... they lie some times , LOL :geek:

ciecupool table says for 30k pool at 500 ppm, add 750 lbs. I will dump the other bags and run a test this weekend to see where I am at. I am either on point or 2 bags short, which should be fine I think.

What did you use to measure the initial 400ppm? I would hesitate to add more until you really know where you are at. How confident are you with the estimated 31,000 gallons? Adding too much results in having to remove/replace water, not a prudent approach. The Taylor K-1766 Salt kit will give you the most consistent and accurate results. Listen to Maddie she is spot on.

I see you are in Dallas. If you are close I can come over with my K-1766 and run a quick test. PM me with your location in Dallas if you chose.

I would not add any more until you are sure how much you actually have. It won't hurt anything if you don't turn it on and most SWCGs will not run if the salt level is too low. I suspect you were higher than 400. Most tests are not accurate at low levels.

It’s following up. Started up the swg with the 15 bags. Reading was at 2200 (manual says 3500 to 4000). It was generating chlorine (I could see the bubbles), so I let it run for a day.

a day later, reading is 3600.

saved 5 bags, initial read was way off.

threw out the test strips and retested with the Taylor kit.

note to all, BUY THE TAYLOR KIT. The test strips, they don’t work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.