Defeated by Jandy epump

Nov 12, 2017
Longwood, FL
Hey everyone.

I've read and used your advice countless times as a diehard DIYer, but I am in over my head this weekend.

My original FloPro 2 speed pump was cracked and rusting out, so we decided to try installing a variable speed Jandy ePump 2.0. We have the Jandy Aqualink RS Control panel, with the PDA, and iAqualink version R connected. We only really use the PDA on the patio. Also, we have the aquapure 1400, LRZ Heater, and a 1 HP Flo pro pump for the spa.

Removed old pump and plumbed for new pump. So far so good. Started reading electrical connection section. Not good. First I had 4 wires, 2 red, 1 green, and 1 black, and there are 3 connections on the new pump, L1, L2, and Ground. I read a little more in the forums and saw that my previous pump was a 2 speed and then saw the 2 speed relay added to the box. So I bypassed the relay and used only the red wire from the 4th terminal on the Pump relay. I crossed my fingers and just connected the red and black to the pump, and the green ground wire. Also, I placed the large green ground that was attached to the outside of my old pump to the large ground terminal on the JEP.

Next I attached the RS485 cable to the Pump and ran it to the aqualink control panel. Surprise! I dont have any open RS485 Connectors, and my Multiplexer board is full as well. Back to the forums. I see several posts that states you can attach more than one cables to the RS485 connector. I add it to a connector on the multiplexer board.

I turn on the breakers and press Pool pump on my PDA.. No pump, but my spa pool light turned on. I checked my connections and obviously I am not hooking this up correctly.

Ive attached pictures on the aqualink RS control panel, the 2 speed relay I bypassed, the Multlplexer board I tied the pump controls to and the Pump.

Help.

Attachments

• IMG_6722.jpg
    IMG_6722.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6723.jpg
    IMG_6723.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_6724.jpg
    IMG_6724.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_6725.jpg
    IMG_6725.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 132
Joe,

The first thing I would do is use a voltmeter and ensure that you have constant 220 volts when measuring between L1 and L2. Do not measure L1 to ground and then L2 to ground as that is not always the same thing.

VS pumps get constant AC voltage.. the voltage going to the pump does not pass through any relays.

I am not up on Jandy equipment, but on my EasyTouch, the system will not recognize the pump using the RS-485, unless you first tell the system that the pump is there. I suspect that Jandy has the same requirement. I would look in your manual and see what it says..

We have some pretty smart Jandy experts, so let's see if we can get one of them to chime in..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim.

I was actually looking for my voltmeter this morning. I was reading through the Aqualink RS manual and the I think I need to check the Aqualink PDA manual next. I didn't even know I had iaqualink until I called the Jandy customer service line to verify I could control this pump before purchasing it. The only thing I've done with that program is set pump times.

Joe,

Just for reference, as I am not sure it applies to your system.. My pump display is "Not Active" when the pump is connected to my automation.. If your pump's display is working and letting you turn things on/off via the pump's controls, then I would think the power is ok, and the problem is with the RS-485 communications.. Again, most likely because the system does not understand it should be looking for a VS pump.

If the pump's display is not working then I would be looking at the input power side as the problem..

Jim R.

The pump does not have a display. It requires an external controller.

The aqualink asks that the pump be powered from the pump relay load terminals 2 and 4. Then you connect just the two center wires of the 4 wire communication wires. Then you set the 4 pump dip switches to off. Then you go into menu and select epump and set application to filtration.

4.5.1 To select the Pump Type
To select a pump, highlight the desired model
and press SELECT. An X will appear next to the
selection. To control the IntelliFlo® VS, select the
IntelliFlo® VS.
MENU/HELP > SYSTEM SETUP > VAR SPEED PUMP > SELECT
MODEL >SELECT JANDY EPUMP/INTELLIFLOVS/INTFLOVF/
INTELLIPRO
In SYSTEM SETUP menu, highlight VAR SPEED
PUMP and press SELECT, highlight PUMP
MODEL and press SELECT. Use the UP/DOWN
arrow keys to highlight the desired pump, then
press SELECT.
4.5.2 To set up the Pump Application
The AquaLink® can control up to 4 variable speed
pumps. In the PUMP SETUP menu the user can
select each pump (1-4) and configure how the
pump(s) are to be used. For example if the pump
is to be used for pool/spa filtration then you would
select FILTRATION as the pump application.

Your iAqualink antenna is in the power center box. That's not good. It should be mounted outside the box.

Are you using the iaqualink interface?

I just checked the L1 and L2 wires at the pump connection and I got 240 V. I was thinking it was the RS-485 connections too. i am tearing through manuals trying to find the procedure to get this pump recognized by the system, and hoping that connecting them to an occupied RS485 connector is correct.

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

trying it now

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All of the rs485 connectors are the same.

I'm not sure why the lights are coming on.

There are 2 sets of dip switches labled S1 and S2. They are between the chlorinator control/display and the button bezel.

Move dip switch #2 in the S1 set from on to off.

James,

I did that earlier when I turned off the 2 speed option. All are off except the #7 switch. Here's something new: My PDA says when I turn on my pool it goes to Night party option when I turn on the pump. No way to separate the pump from night party. I wondering if I get an extra red RS connector and hook up the pump independently of the combined connection?

"Night party" is a macro that was set up in the onetouch menu. You can go in and reconfigure it as you like.

MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > ONETOUCH SETUP.

All of the rs485 wires connect together. All red are connected, all yellow are connected, all black are connected and all green are connected.

The connector is not the problem.

Someone created a macro and assigned it to the button you're using.

A macro is when a single command (like pressing a button) results in more than one function being changed.

You need to delete the macro in the onetouch menu.

I don’t know how it’s happening, but I checked all the one touch settings and lights are all off on each profile. The spa light still comes on in pool mode. Is there a way to reset aqualink? I’m gonna call jandy in the morning and see if they can explain why adding a pump would change my lights.

4.2.3 Resetting the System
MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > CLEAR MEMORY
To remove all labeling, programming, assignments, and temperature settings, press the MENU button, use the arrow keys to scroll to SYSTEM SETUP and press ENTER. Scroll to CLEAR MEMORY and press ENTER.

Just realize that you will have to reprogram everything.

Just call Jandy. I have called several times their tech support is awesome and will help you get everything set right. If you have iAqualink they can login and fix it remotely too.

Resolution:

i spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Jandy support and they logged in and reprogrammed everything. Still had lights coming on when pump turned on.

Just had a local pool company come out and they figured it out.

Turns out that the in-floor cleaning option somehow got enabled on Aux 3, but I don’t have an in-floor cleaner. When it did this Aux 2 would turn on in its place whenever the pump was on.

They said this happens every so often whenever a variable speed pump is added to the aqua link Rs

Wow James! I ran across this thread
after I replaced my booster pump with an aqualink purelink system with PDA and I had to cut the breaker off. I installed everything and turned the breakers back on, then my pool filter pump wouldn’t turn on. I spent half the day
trying to troubleshoot this issue and I was stumped & extremely frustrated. I didn’t even think about reprogramming the remote and your instructions were spot on!!! Thank you James!!!

QUOTE=JamesW;1359473]The pump does not have a display. It requires an external controller.

The aqualink asks that the pump be powered from the pump relay load terminals 2 and 4. Then you connect just the two center wires of the 4 wire communication wires. Then you set the 4 pump dip switches to off. Then you go into menu and select epump and set application to filtration.

Your iAqualink antenna is in the power center box. That's not good. It should be mounted outside the box.

Are you using the iaqualink interface?[/QUOTE]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.