Newb! Mesh cover delivered to install, pool not closed yet, freezing temps this week!

Thurston

Bronze Supporter
May 19, 2017
RI
Hi all, I just received my blue wave mesh cover and I'm brand new to pool closing. I could really use some detailed advice for closing my pool. More urgently, the weather forecast calls for freezing temps on Friday (2 days). With daylight savings, I have even less time than usual after work since the sun is close to down by that point. I need to do a regular closing of the pool, but also install the new cover which will require drilling and installing anchors all around the pool. Not enough time to do this by Friday!

Any recommendations? How to I weather the freezing temps on Friday?

Thanks! I agree about winterizing first, but to install the cover it looks like it helps to have the water level high to rest the cover on while I'm working. In the link you posted he says to lower the water level pretty low, but I think I've seen others who don't lower the water, or at least not as far.

So my first question is, do I need to lower the level to winterize?

Have you read this? Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Look for a thread by Catanzaro called the concept for closing and inground pool. If you have specific questions or a unique situation take some pics and post them up along with the questions.

Edit: I'd winterize the pool first and worry about the safety cover 2nd.

Thanks! I agree about winterizing first, but to install the cover it looks like it helps to have the water level high to rest the cover on while I'm working. In the link you posted he says to lower the water level pretty low, but I think I've seen others who don't lower the water, or at least not as far.

So my first question is, do I need to lower the level to winterize?

Thurston:

While some members lower the water below the returns, in my post, I only lower the water below the skimmers by about 1" to compensate for rain water during the next 6 months. I have a tarp and can pump water off during the season. You have a mesh cover and it is highly recommended you at least lower below the skimmer(s) and also keep an eye on the water level.

You can close a pool with the water level halfway at the skimmers. But you will need a quality blower (like the Cyclone) to clear the lines properly. Some Gizzmo's have blow-out plugs up top so you can thread them and blow out the lines.

Lastly, a mesh cover is not hard to put on when you have an extra hand. The cover will not sink that quickly and you will have time to anchor a few spots and keep alternating. 6" lower on the water will not make any difference in your mesh cover.

Thurston:

While some members lower the water below the returns, in my post, I only lower the water below the skimmers by about 1" to compensate for rain water during the next 6 months. I have a tarp and can pump water off during the season. You have a mesh cover and it is highly recommended you at least lower below the skimmer(s) and also keep an eye on the water level.

You can close a pool with the water level halfway at the skimmers. But you will need a quality blower (like the Cyclone) to clear the lines properly. Some Gizzmo's have blow-out plugs up top so you can thread them and blow out the lines.

Lastly, a mesh cover is not hard to put on when you have an extra hand. The cover will not sink that quickly and you will have time to anchor a few spots and keep alternating. 6" lower on the water will not make any difference in your mesh cover.

Thanks for the advice, do you have a link to your closing thread?

I just installed a new mesh cover prior to closing our pool this year. The only real reason you need the water higher to support the cover is to make it easier to ensure your measurements for the anchor locations are correct. Can you lay the cover out today/tonight, make sure your anchor locations are correct and then close the pool. You can then drill and install the anchors this weekend along with the cover. Have fun drilling all those holes ( a rotary hammer drill is the only way to go).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.