Pool is filling up by itself!

LisaDLu

Nov 14, 2014
Palm Desert, CA
We do not have an auto pool fill and live in the desert. During the summer I have to fill my pool a few times each week. The last time I filled was 2 weeks ago and we have still had weather in the 90's to 100's. The strange thing is my pool water level has increased to where it is now at the pool overhang! We do have a leak at the filter pump and the guy is coming out tomorrow. Could a seal or something have anything to do with this strange happening? Any ideas of why my water has risen? We checked the pool fill spout and it doesn't appear even a light flow of water is coming through it, and the faucet is shut off tight. No rain. Ideas?

Reactions: J&LM
Did you build this pool? Are you sure there’s no auto fill ?

Water can’t magically appear in a pool. It is coming from a source.

Did you build this pool? Are you sure there’s no auto fill ?

Water can’t magically appear in a pool. It is coming from a source.

LOL. There is definitely no auto-fill. We didn't build the pool but have been in the house 5 years. I also thought about somehow ground water entering the pool but I don't see how since I don't see any cracks, etc. I will see if the repair guy has any ideas tomorrow. I will report back if I discover anything. Thanks!

A pool in Palm Desert with no autofill? You must not be able to leave the pool for more than 2 days without putting water in it manually.

Take care.

LOL. There is definitely no auto-fill. We didn't build the pool but have been in the house 5 years. I also thought about somehow ground water entering the pool but I don't see how since I don't see any cracks, etc. I will see if the repair guy has any ideas tomorrow. I will report back if I discover anything. Thanks!

Water doesn’t need to seep through cracks, it can seep through the pores of concrete (as my basement reveals!) but likely if you are in a desert there are no springs. If there were, when the water table is lower you would lose water from your pool to the ground too. Maybe there is an auto fill feature you didn’t know about as was mentioned? Now we are all wondering what’s up with this mystery!!

The repair guy said maybe there is water coming through the fill spout on the pool even though we have the faucet shut off tight. We dripped some red dye in front of the opening and it isn't showing any water coming through. When the pump is on and we hold our hands in front of the fill spout it doesn't feel like water coming through. No broken irrigation lines shooting water into the pool.

The crazy thing is that I noted exactly where the water line was yesterday, and I had talked myself into that I actually filled it this high and there has been no evaporation due to the "cooler" weather now. But I just went out and checked my water line and it has risen! I guess the only plausible thing is water seeping up from the ground through the cement even though no visible cracks. That seems unlikely though. Both my husband and I are marking different areas of the pool and will monitor it. Creepy, I feel I am being gaslighted!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have found a natural spring in Palm Desert on your property ----- you are rich!!!!

Water is coming from some outside source. Can you get to your water meter? I would make sure all water use is off in the house and then go to the water meter and see if you are using water.

I hate to say it, but magically appearing water isn't real...
If you are seeing a noticeable RISE in water level, it is coming from somewhere, likely your house water supply.
A 1/4" rise a day (without considering evap) is about 1/2 gallon a minute. It would be noticeable with a drippy faucet. You should easily be able to see if your water meter is showing use at that rate. Read the meter, wait and don't use water for 10 mins, read again. You may even be able to just stand at the meter and see it spin.

Let us know what you find. I'd want to find it soon at that rate of use.

Is the pool fill line an opening in the wall below the water?

If yes, that can make a tiny drip very hard to detect.

Can you plug the line?

Maybe plug the line and then unplug to see if pressure builds up.

Maybe plug the line with a plug that has a small hole and then squirt dye in front of the hole.

Maybe screw a fitting into the hole with a hose connected so that you can see if the line is dripping.

If we exhaust all reasonable explanations, here are some very unlikely possibilities.

1) The pool is shrinking causing the water level to rise.
2) The water density is decreasing.
3) Your neighbor has a business selling glassware and is storing excess inventory at the bottom of your pool counting on the fact that clear glass is impossible to see under water.
4) Bigfoot.

All the recent Big Foot sightings have been in CA....especially since the expansion of “medicinal” marijuana laws there....but I’m sure that’s merely coincidence....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.