Light mustard algae but time to cover.

Nov 4, 2015
Garland, texas
Hi,

A tad annoyed b/c it's time to cover my pool and I noticed very light yellow algae on one shaded corner and around eyeballs and returns. New plaster done in March on my salt water pool. Pool looked perfect all Summer then noticed the yellowing a few weeks ago while brushing. I must have let the FC drop too much when we stopped swimming. I put in some bleach and a floater with small tablets 6-7 days ago so my FC is now 10 but still signs of yellow...not worse and possibly a little less algae. I took out all the eyeballs, skimmer baskets, Polaris, return basket and those are soaking in bleach/water. I still need to soak the cartridge filters. But, I can't remove the light cover or returns that are deeper on the sides of the pool. Water is way too cold to get into!

I've never had to SLAM and frankly it sounds a bit overwhelming. I need to cover my pool for about 2 months minimum while the leaves drop. Is there anything I can do to keep the algae from getting worse while covered?

Current numbers using Fas-DPD
FC 10
TA 60
CH 320
PH 7.6
CYA 70-80
Salt about 3200-3300 per the digital reading. I have not tested it.

Thank you!

I believe most of the forum members in Texas do not close their pools for the winter. Are you just covering or closing? You should maintain your chemistry levels throughout the winter. And if you have active algae you can fight it now or get it before it warms in the spring.

Take care.

No, just covering it while the leaves fall so my pool stays clean and relatively trouble free. It becomes a second job if I don't cover it. �� I maintain the chemistry all year but was worried I would under cover it to find a tremendous algae problem b/c I did not get nipped before covering it. Sounds like I will be ok.

What FC level should I keep it at while covered? Higher b/c it's not getting sun? During the Summer it stays around 4. I run the pump on a low rpm to keep the water moving through the pipes during freezes. I don't run the Polaris while covered.

Depends on your CYA -- see [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

With active algae it may consume more chlorine than it should with a cover and cool water. Check it often.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.