Water bugs possible without algae?

Uncle Flappy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2015
Tucson, AZ
I found about half a dozen water bugs in two corners of my pool today (roughly 12 in all). I am diligent with balancing my water although admittedly I have been neglecting the sweeping portion of maintenance. I had a fair amount of ocotillo leaves and other vegetation settled to various places on the floor. Today I remedied that both with the Dolphin robot and an old fashioned pool broom.

Here are my current readings. Note that I added a little MA yesterday because the PH rose above 7.8:
FC 7
CC 0
CA 80
TA 60
PH 7.6
Salt 3400
Temp: 66

Pool looks crystal clear and passes the dime test. Suppose I can try an OCLT but my CC has remained at zero for quite a while.

So, my question. With the water temperatures cooling and a fairly balanced pool, do I need to SLAM?

Thoughts?

- Flappy

No SLAM needed but elevate your FC to about 12-15 and hold it there for a couple of days. That should get rid of the bugs and any organics that managed to survive your 7 ppm FC.

Resume normal levels if everything is clean and clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.