Owasso , OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
This is something I haven’t seen discussed much.
What do you do once your pool is closed for the season? Do you sample the water? If you sample and add chemicals, how do you circulate them? No doubt the chemistry will change over the winter but, how do you know if you should add chems?

The reason I am asking is because we opened up the pool one year a few years back and there was a lot of scale. I’m wondering why that happened. We have never opened to a green pool. Here are my latest readings and this is what they will be when we close in a few weeks:

FC. 5.0 (after SLAM)
CC 0
TA. 60
CH 575
Borates 50
CYA 50
Salt 3600
Loop Loc Mesh Safety Cover

What could have happened to cause scaling on the plaster?
Thanks in advance! It’s been a great year with TFP!

By the way, I really need to change my user name because I don’t use much MA anymore since I let my TA leveled off at 60.

Did you forget to test your pH? I don't see it listed and it is an important element in scale avoidance. Your CH level is pretty high but can be managed by keeping your pH at the lower end of the recommended levels.
Pool School - Calcium Scaling

If you close your pool with your chemistry in good order, you don't need to do anything during the winter. Sure you *could* open it up and test, but be assured that cold water slows down most chemistry needs/issues. Algae if present will be very slow growing in cold water.
If you feel inspired to tweak your chemistry in the winter you can mix chemicals in with a broom or something similar. But most folks close the pool and don't do anything else till spring.

Some folks use winter snow/rain to collect water in the pool to dilute high CYA, CH or Salt.

Maddie :flower:

How do you test your water?
what is your pH?

My pH is 7.8.
I knew I was forgetting something.
I use a TF-100 test kit.

Glad to here about not testing the water in winter cause I haven’t been doing that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.