Hole in vinyl liner - Repair/replace?

xdriv3

Oct 8, 2017
NYC
Hey all,

I have an above ground pool w/ a small hole in the vinyl liner at the bottom of the pool. I'd say its about 1 - 1.5cm. I bought some boxer glue and used the vinyl that came with it to patch it up.

Water leakage has SLOWED, but not eliminated. I had planned to close the pool this coming week... with this new issue, I'm not sure how best to proceed. I'm in the NY area, so weather has cooled a bit, but no freezing. I don't know how old the liner is... but the liner does have other areas of wrinkle. No other holes/leaks are noted.

Hoping for some input on my issue---

-Should I repatch, but with actual pool liner?
-Should I bite the bullet and replace the whole liner (not sure how additional wrinkles would factor into this)? Is this an overreaction?

First time pool owner, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I patched the pool --- water loss has significantly slowed, but there definitely still a leak. The water is now 1/2" below skimmer.

The water is a tad less than 60F. It's too cold for me to go in my swim trunks and T-shirt... Are there professionals that can go with water temps like that?

I wish I did... I called around and a pool shop can come out in a few days to patch the vinyl and close my pool.

At this rate of water loss, I guess that would be fine if the plan is to drain it 6" below the skimmer. My worry is that the water is still leaking and may disturb what lies beneath the pool..

Would you guys advised patching and then immediately closing? My concern is that I won't be able to see if the fix was effective or not. On the other hand, I may just have the whole liner replaced because it does look old and I just moved into this place, so it may be worthwhile to have a fresh start.

I had someone come and try to do the patch.. no luck.

I was advised by the installer of my above ground pool--- that I can go ahead and drain it (not all the way) and patch it.

I will take a picture of the pool shortly, but it looks like there are metal support structures on the sides of the pool.

Is it going to be safe assuming the gravel underneath remains intact?

View attachment 70108View attachment 70109View attachment 70110

Here are some pictures of the vinyl and outer shell of the pool. What it doesn't show are the slanted support beams that go from the side of the pool and into the ground. The pool is 4ft deep and looks like it's partially buried.

Would this be a viable plan ---

Drop water level down to 1-2 ft and then patch the two holes at the bottom. Refill pool to a "safer" level immediately and observe for the next day or so for any further leaks. I'm mainly concerned about the pool collapsing inward and issues with further damage of the vinyl liner. I read that it's best to do this quick and at times of overcast.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.