New Pool - SWG issue with high ORP reading

Oct 17, 2017
Perth
Hi all from Oz

I have a new pool running since last week and having allot of trouble with the ORP. I have read heaps and need some advise.

My current test results:

FC 2
CC 0
CYA 30
pH 7.6
CH 75
TA 60
Salt 3100

The ORP is currently reading at 850mv (set to 670)

Given its a very newly setup pool I am slowly working towards the TFP levels but the issue I have is the control unit is linked to the SWG and with the high ORP reading it will not stay on and generate FC. This particular control unit does not seem to be able to let me manually control the percentage on the SWG (ie if I turn the ORP function off the SWG will not come on). I am manually putting in bleach.

Thoughts.....

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Your FC level is OK (2 ppm FC at 30 ppm CYA), so that's good. ORP sensors have trouble when there's CYA in the water, due to fouling. That probably hasn't occurred yet, but in the meantime, do you have FAS-DPD (powder, then drops) testing for FC? That's going to be important as you dial in your system. I believe there's a way to clean and recalibrate the ORP sensor, but you'll need good testing to gain confidence with it. Probably a good idea to keep CYA down at 30 until you get your head around it all.

Hopefully someone with ORP experience comes along, but you'll find that it's not popular with TFPers

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Thankyou

i shut the ORP function off and just maintain FC with manual dosing for now it was doing my head in.

I do have complete test kit from Australian supplier NQ with titration chlorine test

I'm thinking I slowly get all my levels to the SWG levels and then try again with the ORP but it really sucks as I have confirmed with the supplier that the SWG is controlled from the ORP reading no manual percentage adjustment.

My test results today

FC - 2.5
CC - 0
CYA - 30
pH - 7.6
TA - 80
CH - 90

salt - 3800

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.