Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AZ Pool Aerator

1. Back To Top    #1

AZ Pool Aerator

In order to cool the pool during the hottest part of the AZ summer season, I run my pool aerator at nighttime, while the pool cleaner is doing its thing. The aerator normally cools the pool down by about 4 to 5 degrees. My question: would the aerator also cool the pool during the middle of the day, when temperatures are getting into the 110's? Or would the pool instead gain heat running the aerator at these extreme temps?
    11,000 gallon Tahoe blue pebble tec, PCC 2000 in floor cleaning system, with two Pentair 1.7HP cleaning pumps, and a separate pump for water feature, Frog chlorinator, 60 SF DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AZ Pool Aerator

I ran mine when it was 100ºF and it cooled the pool pretty well. Be aware that aeration raises your pH so keep an eye on it. If you can post a pic of your aerator running the droplet size makes a big difference. Also, surface disturbance makes a difference too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: AZ Pool Aerator

My aerator spray is almost like a fine mist, with very small droplet size. I always set it to cover most of the pool area, without spraying outside of the pool. I'm just wondering if the extreme temps (105 degrees and above) diminish the cooling of the water when using the aerator, or worse yet, causes the water to heat up even more.
    Thanks for the tip about the PH level going up. I had noticed that I am having to add muriatic acid more frequently, but I didn't know about the correlation with aerating.
    11,000 gallon Tahoe blue pebble tec, PCC 2000 in floor cleaning system, with two Pentair 1.7HP cleaning pumps, and a separate pump for water feature, Frog chlorinator, 60 SF DE Filter