Sand in my Gunite Pool........DE filter- so is it my gunite / plaster?

Just bought a house 2 months ago with an older gunite pool. I am new to pools so I dont quite know "all things pool related" just yet.
Anyway, i installed a Hayward T15 salt chlorinator right away and a few weeks later bought a polaris 9550 robot. Well, the first time I used the robot it picked up a fair amount of white sand in the filter cartridge. I figured it would dissipate as I continued to clean, which it has. However, after 15 cleanings or so, I still get white sand in the filter, and when I use the pool brush on the walls and floor i can see a swoosh of sand on the bottom of the pool. Is the gunite / plaster coming off the walls? The walls and floor are somewhat rough, but more like very fine sand paper nothing coarse.

is this normal of did adding salt to the pool change the chemistry somehow? I have a DE filter, so thats not the issue.

Also, i have rust around the drain on the bottom of the pool.....tried to scrape it off with a small pumice stick but it is fairly deep and would come off. Is this normal?

Dont know how old the plaster is........hope i dont have to re-surface.....!

Welcome to the forum!

Are you testing your water with your own test kit? Can you give us a full set of test results?

Did you confirm it was sand by feeling it? I ask because you say it moves easily with the brush. Could it be dead algae?

The salt cell can increase pH. Are you monitoring and managing that?

On the rust, probably have to wait until you refurbish the pool to manage that.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.