Solar Panel Installation on Metal Roof - w/ Pics

CaptainUnderpants

Bronze Supporter
Aug 14, 2017
Long Beach, CA
Last year my pool was built and I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that I used it year round and spent quite a bit heating it during this last winter. After all it is Southern California and by the beach winters are milder than inland. But my dilemma is that I like my pool warm and yet I am cheap or at least not independently wealthy. Last winter, my gas bill was 600 during one month. Until i saw this bill, I was living large.

When I built the pool I was quoted roughly 8k for solar. I left this out of the build for the time being as it was out of the budget. Then last month a friend that has had pools asked why I hadn't done solar and he mentioned that materials were only about 2k or less. This peaked my interest and I started doing homework. What held me back from adding electric solar was the issue of how would I attach the panels to my metal standing seam roof. I couldnt envision running nails through the roof. As it turns out, this wasn't a big deal. A company called S5 makes a bunch of different clamps that attach to the seam. Once I saw this ability to affix items to the roof with these clamps it solved what I thought was an unsolvable hurdle.

I learned the basics of solar by googling. After reading lots I settled on hot sun industries product which would be a perfect match for my standing seam roof. My roof panel seams are at 17 inch spacing, leaving a perfect slot for the 13 inch wide hot sun powerstrips. I did like the heliocol product, but this would then not lay flat on the roof in between seams.

Originally I had plumbed pvc to the base of my prime 2nd story south facing roof for pool solar, but have chosen to use this prime area for electric solar panels. This left a smaller space above my single story garage adjacent to the pool equipment available for the pool solar. The downside of the single story garage location is there is only about 200sf of solar collectors for a 430sf pool, slightly undersized. Recommended is 75-100 percent coverage, relative to the pool surface area sqft. The upside is that it is right next to the pool equipment and only a single story, less plumbing, pressure and drag. Fortunately, the pool stays pretty warm as it is shallow in depth, in direct sun, has a black bottom and is well protected from wind. More panel area just wasn't an option in that location, design constraints limited the size.

I ordered my panels pre assembled, with most of the hardware necessary for assembly. Ken, the owner of hot sun was helpful in getting me started and all of the information needed to understand the operation of a solar system is on his website. I do think it is important to have a general understanding of mechanical principles, otherwise you might be confused by the process. I do have a BSME degree, so I feel entirely capable, however the science needed to understand the basic principles and functions is only middle school science. Having basic mechanical aptitude and understanding is all that is necessary, no BSME degree needed.

The integration into my existing Pentair Easy Touch system was simple for fully automatic operation. The panel has connections for a solar electric valve and solar temp sensor. On the Pentair Screenlogic configuration page, I selected solar as present. Then I temporarily hooked up the auto valve and temp sensor and verified that these items functioned before the complete build out. During the day when the sensor was hot enough, the valve would open when solar was selected and did not open during the night, looks like it functions correctly. After the system was installed I just added a separate solar pump speed of 1800 rpm to generate enough pressure to charge the panels. My normal pool circuit speed is only 1200 which produces less than 3 psi of pressure, not enough to drive the water high enough to reach the panels. Selecting the solar circuit pump speed to be 1800 rpm generated about 5 psi in the system. Enough to get the water high enough to flow through the panels. This worked perfectly as I have set a schedule of the pool pump to come on at 9 am and go off around 5 pm. during the first day of operation the pool pump came on at 9 am at it's whisper quiet speed of 1200 rpm. at 9:22, the temperature reading was high enough to trigger the solar, the pump turned up to 1800 rpm and the solar valve opened. The system works flawlessly.

During the first week of operation, the 2nd week of october, we had all sunny days and unseasonably warm temperatures ranging from the high 70's into the high 80's. Results saw the solar turning on around 9:15 to 10 depending upon cloud cover and turning off around 4:30 to 5 pm. Pool temperatures consistently peaked around 84-85 degrees. Other than heating the spa, I haven't turned on the heater yet this week, obviously no need to. Without the solar panels the pool might be about 3-5 degrees colder. I do use a pool cover as well. The real test will be during December and January and February when days are shorter and the sun in lower in the sky. It is not likely that the system will get temps into the low 80's except on our occasional winter heat wave, but hopefully the extra sun will add a little heat to the pool everyday, and keep the ground and pool warmer so any heat needed is minimal.

I would say that the process was certainly more work than I had anticipated. I spent quite a bit of time planning out the build. The shear number of cut and glued connections was also much greater than anticipated, well over 100+ glued joints. Since gluing PVC is rather permanent, going slow, measuring twice and cutting once was the order of the day. I probably spent close to 60 hours on just the installation alone, not including learning planning and designing. Which makes a $7,000 bid seem not unrealistic. But there is a certain satisfaction in doing the job myself. Next up will be solar panels. I bought enough roof clamps for this job as well. My estimate for materials on this job is $12,000 on a retail cost of $25,000 to $30,000.

Pool just completed before landscaping
dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

Beautiful solar setup and nice results on bringing up the pool temp!

I'm looking to install a H2otSun system too, once I address a roof repair issue.

I thought their PV/Thermal combo system with solar thermal pool heating adhered to the back of the PV panels to be very interesting. It seems to optimize use of the "primo" solar roof real estate for both systems. Still sounds very new compared to solar pool heating, though. Partway down this page, if you hadn't seen it:

Powerstrip Solar Pool Heaters from Hot Sun Industries of San Diego, California

That's a cool idea. Power from our PV panels drops off in summer because of the heat diminishing the panels efficiency, so cooling them would be good. It's great to see all these technologies taking hold. It's frustrating sometimes listening to air con cooling the house and a pump running to heat the pool!

Beautiful solar setup and nice results on bringing up the pool temp!

I'm looking to install a H2otSun system too, once I address a roof repair issue.

I thought their PV/Thermal combo system with solar thermal pool heating adhered to the back of the PV panels to be very interesting. It seems to optimize use of the "primo" solar roof real estate for both systems. Still sounds very new compared to solar pool heating, though. Partway down this page, if you hadn't seen it:

Powerstrip Solar Pool Heaters from Hot Sun Industries of San Diego, California

So I did read the hot sun link above, however it doesn't sound like it is ready for prime time yet. I have been looking into PV solar panels, and the specifications on panels calls for air circulation behind them to keep them cool and therefor more efficient. I can also see how putting water panels on the back of the PV panels will keep the PV panels cooler, however I think this would be at the expense of the efficiency of the water solar panels. The lack of direct sun on the water solar panels would surely reduce their ability to transfer heat. Unless this is a proven solution, I don't think I would merge the two technologies. However, I do trust that Ken knows what he is doing.

Yeh I would definitely let that horse trot a while. Another important aspect is that the pool solar is empty after the pool reaches temperature, so it would insulate the back of the panels in that condition which sometimes might make them even hotter. But someday, people will get it all worked out as energy prices rise to make it pay.

Yeh I would definitely let that horse trot a while. Another important aspect is that the pool solar is empty after the pool reaches temperature, so it would insulate the back of the panels in that condition which sometimes might make them even hotter. But someday, people will get it all worked out as energy prices rise to make it pay.

Good point. I can only imagine that the plumbing requirements would be very complex, if header pipes were required at each panel and runs were limited to the length or width of the panel. In addition installation and / or servicing would be a tough job. I would imagine it should be used only under the most extreme of circumstances.

Results: for the last 6 months I have been tracking the results of my new solar panels. I even bought one of those cheap infrared heat measurement guns to measure heat on the roof. As of the last week daily high temperatures here in Long Beach have been only 69-70, but it has been sunny. Yet my pools temperature is peaking at 89-90 degrees and morning lows are 84-85 degrees. This is with a cover and no heat to the pool, but maybe a little bit of bleed off from a spa that is heated and trickles into the pool. But no heat to the pool other than solar. The system starts producing heat at 9:15 in the morning and doesn't shut off till I turn off the pump at 4:30. At which point the panels are still producing heat but not much.

All in all it is pretty awesome. I love warm water. Previously, my pool even on the hottest mid summer days, would only get to about 85 degrees. Even with solar panels, I did use gas some during the winter months (Dec, Jan, Feb). The panels would always add at least a couple of degrees even in the mid winter, so the pool remained swimable year round even in December and January, but some gas heat was used during these months. The sun is just very low in the winter and doesn't generate nearly as much heat on the panels as now in April. There was only about a 2 week period in February, where it was very cold and no sun. During these two weeks I turned off the pool heater and decided to not keep the pool up to temperature and swimable.

My strategy was to put the pool heater on in the morning for about 40 minutes with a set minimum temperature somewhere between 78-82 depending upon my mood. Sometimes the pool heater would be on for the entire 40 minutes and not reach the set minimum, or it might reach the set minimum within only 20 minutes. Then during the day the solar would take over and I would get what the sun had to offer. This schedule then allowed me to make the pool swimable, but also allowed me to put a cap on my gas usage to 40 mins a day.

Nothing makes me happier than a warm pool and swimming over to the pool returns and feeling even warmer water coming out. It is like free money!

Awesome job CaptainUnderpants! Have you got any pictures of how you plumbed it up over at the pump and solar valve?

also, regarding your pv system... did you use clips to mount the pv rails to your standing seam roof panels? i've seen them but never used them, curious if that's what you did

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome job CaptainUnderpants! Have you got any pictures of how you plumbed it up over at the pump and solar valve?

also, regarding your pv system... did you use clips to mount the pv rails to your standing seam roof panels? i've seen them but never used them, curious if that's what you did

http://www.h2otsun.com/PG5ht.html

The above link will help you understand the installation process. I also used their products. It took quite a while for me to wrap my head around all of the plumbing required.

I have not installed my PV panels yet, but used the roof seam clamps on the water solar panels and bought enough for the PV rails. They worked like a charm. I used this brand.
S-5! Metal Roof Attachments - Snow Guards, Solar Utility Mounting

Nice! I'm sitting in my 85° pool right now in front of a return shooting warm, sun-heated water on me.

On solar panel sizing - pooldv, I noticed that your pool is 20,000 gallons and yet you only have 240sf of solar panels. While I don't know your surface area, my pool is 11,500 gallon and 432sf of surface area with 200sf of solar panels. The result is that my ratio of solar panels to pool surface area is a little less than 50%. It was recommended to have 75-100% coverage. I simply didn't have any more room where I chose to do my install, otherwise I would likely have put in 75% coverage.

But here is the catch 22 with solar panels versus the time of year. As of about April 1st my solar panels are producing 86-88 degree peak pool temperatures and as of late April 88-90 degree peak pool tems. This will last through October. So for 7 months of the year there would be no more benefit from larger panels. For the other 5 months two are cross over months November and March. During these months the sun is somewhat strong enough that the panels do work to a certain extent, and there might be a benefit of larger panels. But during December, January and February the sun is so low that solar production is minimal. Could I benefit from more panels, yes, but the heat production is not nearly as much per panel as during the summer.

The point I am making is that I am benefiting from the 50% coverage that I have because during 7/12 months these panels raise the pool to a more than adequate temperature. The extra 25% that I wish I had room for would be of no benefit during 7/12 months as heat would already be maxing out, and of little benefit during the 3 winter months because the sun is so low that there is little heat production. It would be of value during the 2 cross over months.

Given more room on my roof, I would have added the extra 25% of panels, but I have also come to realize that there is a law of diminishing return for more panels. Once max pool temperatures are reached, I will call this temperature 88-90 because that is just warm/hot, then more solar panel capacity is a waste. The first 50% coverage is going to be used most of the time, the extra 25% would just help with the margins, ie the crossover months, or cloudy days.

I really like your system and would do something similar. We also have a standing seam metal roof that is southwest facing, so it would be perfect for solar. However, I keep putting it off. Being a bit further north of you we don't get warm weather until late April at the earliest...this year we have only had a few warm days back in early April - of course right when I got the flu. I have yet to even get in the pool this year...

We have solar pre-plumbed to an area below our roof.
We have the solar valves and automation to get everything going when/if we want to.
We have already installed Solar PV on the larger section of our metal roof and have almost zeroed our PG&E electric bill with a 4.32kW system.
Unfortunately there is a bit of a challenge getting the pipes from our pre-plumbed location to the second metal roof area.
The "better" roof section we used for our solar PV install which happens to be directly above the pre-plumbed pool solar setup.

While I would love to have warmer water sooner I am not sure it is worth it for us in Northern California. Right now our high temperature for the last several days, and the forecast for the next 10-14 days, is upper 50's to low 60's - hardly swimming weather for me even if the pool was in the mid 80's. Our current pool temp is 73-75° with no heating, so if the daytime temps crept up enough I would happily get in. I probably will this weekend just to do some rehab on a bum leg.

Yeah, our pool is about 700sf so we are only about 35% solar coverage. I would do 100% or more if I had convenient roof space to install them. But, the roof of the pool hut is maxed out. I definitely agree that the available BTU from the sun is much less in nov-feb, more in March and quite a bit more from April on. But I'm not sure I agree that 100% coverage wouldn't heat the pool to a higher temp than 75% coverage would in a given month. I think it would. More panels is more BTU and more BTU is a warmer pool.

Yeah, our pool is about 700sf so we are only about 35% solar coverage. I would do 100% or more if I had convenient roof space to install them. But, the roof of the pool hut is maxed out. I definitely agree that the available BTU from the sun is much less in nov-feb, more in March and quite a bit more from April on. But I'm not sure I agree that 100% coverage wouldn't heat the pool to a higher temp than 75% coverage would in a given month. I think it would. More panels is more BTU and more BTU is a warmer pool.

Well, yes and no.

Yes because obviously what you said is true.

No because if your 50% coverage panels heats the pool up to 88-90 degrees which I will call the upper limit, and you don't want your pool any warmer, then there is no way to store the heat and the extra heat from additional panel goes to waste when the panels turn off at the upper limit of solar production. Yes extra panels will make the pool warmer quicker during these summer months, but if the upper limit is hit at any point during the day with a smaller system, then the extra panels production would go to waste. PV panels can send excess production back into the grid so production from extra electrical panels is not wasted. There is no way to store excess unwanted super heated pool water.

No also because in my climate there are certain days where there is no sun or the sun combined with daily peak temperature of 55 degrees, don't produce strong enough roof temperature, to trigger the solar panels to turn on. If the desired pool temp is a minimum 75 - 80 degrees then the roof temp must be 80-85 degrees +. I would say that there might be about one month of the year where roof temps don't get hot enough to turn on the solar.

So extra solar panels don't provide any benefit when max temps are already achieved which is 7 months of the year or during the 1 month where there is no solar production at all. The extra panels help only during the other 4 months. So while your point is correct, more panels do result in a warmer pool there are certain exceptions. For this reason the first 50% of coverage is more valuable than the extra solar coverage in terms of heat production.

This is different from PV electric panels where excess production is stockpiled and electric production is actually improved when it is cold out, and there is still sun. So PV production is linear relative to the number of panels added. While heat generated from a solar water panels is linear only up until max pool temps are reached, then the addition of additional panels are of no value.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.