Travertine = waterline tile?

If your travertine has natural pits in it (like most travertine), those pits will fill with algae when used vertically like that.

Not enough algae to prevent managing your pool water, but a constant source of cleaning, applying chlorine, etc. I wouldn't use it unless i was willing to accept that drawback.

I don't know where Queen Creek is so I don't know if you are subject to freezing. I would be a little concerned about travertine if you have hard freezes.

Travertine is naturally porous, and even with small voids in it, which is part of the reason we loved it for our coping. Examples below.

272d581afbb384c860e4491a1a0ae898.jpg

8445ce95118e7309d0a8011eae632c3d.jpg

Use as a waterline tile, I'd probably avoid it as potential places algae to get a foot hold, and as stated above places for water to hold and potentially crack tiles if you live in a freeze area. We went with a glass tile to match our travertine coping, and couldn't be happier with the result, but then it's not for everyone.

207c12da031ee82f147692873a06eecd.jpg

700d5c6ef8ec997d6376c040969cf52f.jpg

b754fbeb7b8ce0d31f125aaf350260ec.jpg

17.7k gal, 98 ft perimeter, IG quartz, 3HP EcoStar VSP, 1.5HP TriStar Dual Speed, 725 sq ft SwimClear Cartridge, Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount clear O3, Pro Logic controller, 500k BTU heater, AquaVac 500, Spillover Spa, 3 sheer waterfalls, 3 bubblers.

The interior plaster is from NPT quartzscapes, Grenadine Grey. That was probably the hardest choice, as we wanted something in the "blue" family without being too dark or any hint of "green" or "aqua marine" color. You can see the color transitions best from a pic of the steps below.

ad14a9b4f8dc341e0b25ff938b917ff2.jpg

98064089b0deb6b7c4442d21a9892e34.jpg

17.7k gal, 98 ft perimeter, IG quartz, 3HP EcoStar VSP, 1.5HP TriStar Dual Speed, 725 sq ft SwimClear Cartridge, Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount clear O3, Pro Logic controller, 500k BTU heater, AquaVac 500, Spillover Spa, 3 sheer waterfalls, 3 bubblers.

The interior plaster is from NPT quartzscapes, Grenadine Grey.

Beautiful!

As far as travertine at the waterline, I vote no. I have a filled travertine shower and it drives me crazy. Maybe it's just OCD, but I can't help but scan all the tiles looking for mold, and then wondering if it's tile or indeed mold. Everyday. I keep a bottle of Tilex in the shower all the time now.

Beautiful!

As far as travertine at the waterline, I vote no. I have a filled travertine shower and it drives me crazy. Maybe it's just OCD, but I can't help but scan all the tiles looking for mold, and then wondering if it's tile or indeed mold. Everyday. I keep a bottle of Tilex in the shower all the time now.

Do not use travertine, it's very porous. Find a proper pool tile that looks like the travertine you're using.
Pic of my travertine coping and deck with 6 x 6 stone look tile.
IMG_20171007_tile.jpg

IMG_20171007_171854608.jpg

This is the tile I used because it looked close to travertine.

Tiburstone Series 6"x6"
TBR%208.jpg
CT TBR 8
Torreon
7.5 sq/ft Per Carton * Light Textured
Matching 3"X 3" Click Here

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just had hubby walk by and asked him if he liked this stone "Yep!" so.................LOL Husband approved!

I think they look fine in the picture. If you really don't like them ask to hand pick out the ones you want to go there.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.