My Algae Removal Log

Jun 28, 2017
Atlanta, Ga
My pool was covered up during hurricane Jose so that I wouldn't have to skim leaves and debris out of the pool. A few weeks went by of me assuming that everything should be ok. I decided to take a peek under the cover and noticed a sheet of algae has formed and my salt level (according to my SWG box) is low, therefore not producing chlorine. Long story short, this will be my first attempt at trying to clean my pool up and get it ready for closing this fall/winter and I want you experts' guidance as I go through this process. It's dark out so no pics for now.

I just turned my pump on and added a half empty bag of salt to the pool so I don't have measurements quite yet. I also need a good salt tester. Any recommendations?

I have a Leslie/Taylor DPD test kit with old reagents. Should I go ahead and invest in a FAS-DPD kit?

Thanks all! And stay tuned for progress! :stirpot:

Edit:
fc 0
tc 0
pH 7.2
TA 50ppm
CH 0
CYA <30

Looks like I have work to do. I added the remaining Calcium Chloride, Stabilizer and baking soda that I had tonight. We'll see where the levels are in the morning. I didn't want to add too much because I still have to sweep the pool and I'm not sure what that's going to affect.

Welcome to TFP, cnafets :)

Yes, you need both a better test kit and a salt tester. You would do well to order the TF-100 (with the NECESSARY FAS-DPD tester) and Taylor's K-1766 Salt tester.
Both will come to about $100, but that also gets you free shipping at tftestkits.net Throw in the SpeedStir if you can. NO ONE regrets that *toy* which really speeds up testing.
We need to know these levels to advise you on your SLAM:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Do you have to close the pool? I don't, and many, many folks down south don't bother to. When the water cools the SWG won't work, but bleach does. By the time you need to add some bleach it won't be much or very often. In cold weather I test maybe once or twice a month and if (rarely) it needs something it is very little.

If we're going to get freezing overnight temps Skippy just pulls a tarp over the pump/filter and we run the pump all night long which keeps the water moving. Just like you do when you open the outside hose to drip at those times. We just don't get enough freezing weather to justify the trouble of closing, and I like to look down on my pool water year round.

Holler if you have more questions-

Maddie :flower:

Hi Maddie,

I was looking at the TF-100 last night, actually. I'm going to go ahead and purchase it today along with the "toy." Anything I can do in the meantime to mitigate the algae spreading?

I didn't close it last year, I just kept pump running whenever it dipped below 30. I don't plan on closing this year either, but I do want to get it back to the point where it only requires check ups every now and then.

Numbers this morning came out to be:
fc 0
tc 0
pH 7.2
TA 70
CH 55
cya 20

While there is still light out, I'm going to sweep as much as I can.

Maddie will chime in I am sure, but you must raise your FC by adding liquid chlorine and raise your CYA to 30 or so. How did you get the test results?

I would suggest adding liquid chlorine right now to get to FC of 10. I would suggest adding at least 10 or 15 ppm worth of CYA. Then base your shock level on CYA of 30.

Use PoolMath; [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]; and SLAM Process

Take care.

Marty,

I am in process of bumping up the CYA level now. I just finished brushing the pool and am letting it circulate to get another reading.
I'm testing using a ColorQ and a Leslie/Taylor DPD test kit.
Thanks.

Jason,
Seems simple enough. Will do.

On another note, I may need to "super clean" my sand filter after this. It seems like backwashing never gets all the gunk.

Yes, you need to get some FC in there, and a bit more CYA and CH would be a good idea also.

You say you didn't close last winter, but did you keep your pump running a bit on a daily basis to keep the surface skimmed and water circulated? That's pretty important if you're not going to entirely close, IMO.

Maddie :flower: (*sorry it took a while to get back to you, I've been out of town)

I had a busy weekend, but I got the TF100 in. The pool has turned to a light/pale green color during the treatment. Based on my CYA level, I'm using an FC of 18 and trying to hold it there. I didn't get a chance to test it this morning, but yesterday the FC dropped to 13.5 and this was checked in the evening.

I'm going to try to do an OCLT tonight and see where we stand. Also, is it normal to have low CC during this process? My solution doesn't turn back pink after I add the R-0003.

YippeeSkippy,
I'm slowly bumping my CH up. I was at 175 last night and I added 5lbs so hopefully it's above 200 now. CYA will be increased after the shocking is done. Oh, my CYA is at 40 now so I don't have to use a lot of bleach.

My pump was running for about 4-5 hours a day during the winter unless freezing temps were forecasted.

Thanks All!

No CC is fine, it can depend on how much sun the pool is getting and bather load.

With a CYA of 40 the shock level is 16. If you are between 40 and 50 then you are at 50 and the shock level is 20. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

If the pool is still green there is no reason to do the OCLT, you need no visible algae to pass that test. Try to get out and bush it a couple times a day and maintain the shock level FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick update:
FC 10
CH 300
TA 80
pH 7.5
CYA 20?
Salt 3000

OK my pool is clear, but what happened to the CYA level? Does backwashing and rain affect that level much?

I attached pics. The 1st one was from the day I took the cover off. The second one is this past Wednesday. I'll take the final one this weekend.
a4b8d9d360160a171d84cc206358612d.jpg
5810d153a74282b59adc4023d8de2ccd.jpg

I think you can get a bit clearer if you continue... so clear that the pool looks empty even!

Anytime the pool has fresh water added to it (either by hose or rain) and it helps dilute the water in there. If you have backwashed and replaced water also that does the same.

Your salt can be diluted this way also.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.