Pool size and setting form boards?

Yetilagoon

Jun 5, 2017
San Diego Ca
When setting up the form boards of a pool.
for example a 16x32ft pool.
To get a 16ft water surface area width from waterline tile to waterline tile to be 16ft and lets say the shotcrete and rebar will be 6 inches. Does that mean the form boards would need to be set 6 inches outside of the 16ft?

My poolbuilder set the form boards right at 16ft wide. Wouldn't that result in a narrower pool after rebar and shotcrete are added? Haven't started digging yet.

Please help.. thanks.

It might just mark the outline of the pool. You need to be able to discuss issues or concerns with the builder as they arise. There will be many things to discuss.

Any good contractor will be patient and willing to answer questions.

If I may respectfully suggest, you may want to be prepared for some give and take. I specified a 24x40x6 pool but it's not exact. It's probably closer to 23.5 x 39 x 5.5. Thing is this is a completely manual process. But you know what? My deck is bigger than I asked for. It sort of washes out.

JamesW could be right. It might just be the boarder of the pool. Just ask. Don't feel like you can't. It is important to have open communications.

I appreciate the thoughts from you all. The thing that really pisses me off is that after he layed out the pool he stated that i needed to pay the the first down payment of 8k for excavation. So i cut him a check. Well apparently he went straight to the bank and cashed it. And he was supposed to be back the next morning (friday) to start the dig. Well about 10am i called him and he said they probably weren't going to make it that day cause they were still on another dig. This is when i started poking around on the layout and started measuring.
Im afraid im on the hook now with this guy. By the way this is starting out it has my wife and i very worried. We narrowed this company down from 3 others and from researching we thought they were a good company. He even gave me over 20 referrals. Also i was expecting a full drawn up plan with an equipment list etc. the contract we signed is so vague that it's mind boggling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Only you can decide what to do. However, if you genuinely don't want to proceed with this builder, you should ask for the deposit back.

The only thing that you might owe is any expense that the builder had related to your project.

If all they did was put up outline forms, there shouldn't be much expense.

Did they pull a permit for the pool? If so, that should be drawn out on plans submitted to the city/county.

It's not too late to pull this contractor in and get them on the same page as you.

Just an FYI. Don't expect them to be there working everyday till it's complete. There will be days when no one shows up to do anything. Most builders have multiple jobs going at once and work on them all at once. Also don't be upset if the completion date slips by a little, or a lot.

Well the PB was just here and said a 16ft wide inground freeform pool is measured from the outside of the shotcrete shell to the outside of the other side shell. And that it is standard. If i wanted it 16ft wide from waterline tile to water line tile i would need to upgrade to a an 18ft wide pool. Sounds pretty lame to me. But the way he explained with all his linear feet pool talk i had to just accept it or pay for an expensive upgrade.

He also said something about the perimeter. Ours is 94. We can make it as wide or narrow wherever we want to fit into that perimiter freeform pool. Since im going a little extra wide on the Baja shelf in the shallow end that he had to make the deep end narrower to fit in the perimiter. But he also charged me when i said i wanted to make the pool 2 ft longer and 1 ft wider. From 15x30 to 16x32. He then charged me to make the Baja shelf a little wider. So something definitely seems fishy.

Pool dimensions are always water dimensions. To say they are outside wall to outside wall is nonsense.

In any case, a scale drawing showing the pool design should have been provided for approval before the contract was signed.

All specifications for design, materials, equipment etc. should have been provided as part of the proposal.

What exactly was provided as part of the proposal?

How many of the 20 referrals did you call?

How many did you go look at the job?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.