Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral VX 7T
Hi all

I'd like to get a better understanding of CYA and how it works.

When I first inherited my pool, pool store testing showed CYA 30 and staff told me not to worry about it for now since it was still winter here.

Soon enough I joined TFP and with the sun getting higher in the sky now, I proceeded with my own water testing and got a CYA reading way below 30 (indicator still quite visible with a full tube), could have been 0.

After adding enough CYA to get me to 60ish, I noticed a "film" at the surface of the pool, which I assumed was my newly introduced CYA.

Now to my question.
How well does CYA mix with water?
If it acts as a "sunscreen", is it by floating on the top layers of the pool?
If so, is it fair to assume CYA concentration is higher at the surface than the deepest layers?
And in that case, shouldn't we test CYA with a surface sample instead of the traditional elbow-deep sample?

Thanks

How well does CYA mix with water?
If it acts as a "sunscreen", is it by floating on the top layers of the pool?
If so, is it fair to assume CYA concentration is higher at the surface than the deepest layers?
And in that case, shouldn't we test CYA with a surface sample instead of the traditional elbow-deep sample?
Thanks

CYA has low solubility in water which is why it takes a very long time to dissolve. You never want to just throw it in the pool or into the skimmer. You fill a knee-high sock or lady’s nylon with it and hang it in front of your return jet.

It does not concentrate in the surface. Like all chemicals it mixes uniformly throughout the entire volume. The sunscreen analogy is a bad one at best.

You test it like every other chemical - best to use a sample from the deep end about midway down. I constructed a PVC sampling tube for this purpose.

No idea what that oily film was you saw. Some kind of contamination.

Thanks

I did add CYA as recommended and it took a few days to dissolve

Not sure what the film was, it's been gone for weeks. It just appeared when I put the CYA in the pool, and disappears roughly a week later.

Hi Dom

Used Zodiac UV Blockout, white powder dosed at 99.6% Cyanuric Acid.
Put it in a sock and in the skimmer box, squeezing the sock once in a while.

Description says: Protects chlorine from ultra violet light. Creates a barrier that floats on the pool surface stopping the sun from "eating" the chlorine. A must in the summer months.

Hi Dom

Used Zodiac UV Blockout, white powder dosed at 99.6% Cyanuric Acid.
Put it in a sock and in the skimmer box, squeezing the sock once in a while.

Description says: Protects chlorine from ultra violet light. Creates a barrier that floats on the pool surface stopping the sun from "eating" the chlorine. A must in the summer months.

WOW......ok. Don’t ever buy that junk again. They obviously put something in it that floats on the surface, like those liquid pool cover products, to get you to think that a thin layer of junk on the surface is protecting your chlorine.

CYA is an organic chemical (cyanuric acid) that dissolved in the volume of your pool water and reacts with chlorine to bind it and hold it in reserve. A small fraction of chlorine (about 5% or so) is left over to become the active chlorine components (hypochlorous acid and hypochlorite anion) that disinfect pathogens and oxidize bather waste. By holding the chlorine in reserve, it is protected from UV photolysis.

There is nothing about that chemistry that requires any surface layer to form. So they are adding a small amount of some other chemical to give your water that oil-sheen look and make you think it’s doing what it says on the package. Total horse pucky!!

Next time you need stabilizer (CYA) go online to Amazon Australia or whatever, and buy only a product that is 100% cyanuric acid. No additives or magic potions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.