Startup Stonescapes Mini Pebble Pool

lltt

Aug 11, 2017
NV
We're on day two of the pool being full and the pool builder started up the equipment. We have stone scapes mini pebble and certain areas look really blotchy.

It looks like some of the plaster wasn't acid washed off the top of the pebbles completely when they did the acid wash right before filling.

I've been brushing the pool like I was told, but it's hard for me to believe brushing is going to do anything to help it.

I've read a lot on this forum and from what I understand, this is called "mottling". There's a few spots in the deep end but most of the issues is in the corners of the steps / bench.

Should I just give it more time before telling the PB that this isn't acceptable? Most places I've read said that the interior color / texture isn't really complete until about 30 days.

Here's some pictures. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

^80AFB83DE00CD0CDDFBD09701DEB521A20213493BEB572AE81^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
3png.jpg2png.jpg

Attachments

• ^80AFB83DE00CD0CDDFBD09701DEB521A20213493BEB572AE81^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    ^80AFB83DE00CD0CDDFBD09701DEB521A20213493BEB572AE81^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 561
Thanks for the reply. They actually didn't tell us anything was added during the startup, so I'm not really sure. We were told to brush 3 times a day and that the equipment needed be run / tested for 7 days continuously on.
I'll ask them when they are out here next. I know they did an acid wash right before they started filling last wednesday, but should I just ask if acid was added during the startup process to address the mottling?

lltt, how is your pool looking now? We had Stonescapes Aqua Cool installed in April 2018. We had dirt stains from a very poor startup which an acid wash only helped slightly, but we also had areas in corners/edges where the blue pebble bunched together creating lines which only got worse each month (see upper portion of photo). Barely noticeable in full sun, but looked horrible in the mornings and late afternoon, evenings.

Our PB agreed to a full chip out and redo, but is now saying that this uneven clumping of pebbles in normal.

IMG_2174 LR.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After your PB completed installation and did a complete acid wash before pool filled up, what were his instructions, if any, for pool start up proceedures? Mine is saying I don't have to do any unusual brushing or chemical balancing other than normal weekly servicing. Can you confirm?

Hello, first post here and just had my pool completed with Stonescapes Aqua Blue mini pebble. We are seeing the same thing as far as spots that are darker blue. The PB also said that brushing will eventually take these spots off but I am not so sure. Do any of you have any updates on your particular pools?

First - Welcome to TFP! Our builder certainly made it challenging for us - but he did ultimately did do a "full chip out" and re-pebble, and we are very satisfied with the results. Can you post photos of your pebble (at diffetent times of the day would be good).

Reactions: RODPOOL
lltt, how is your pool looking now? We had Stonescapes Aqua Cool installed in April 2018. We had dirt stains from a very poor startup which an acid wash only helped slightly, but we also had areas in corners/edges where the blue pebble bunched together creating lines which only got worse each month (see upper portion of photo). Barely noticeable in full sun, but looked horrible in the mornings and late afternoon, evenings.

Our PB agreed to a full chip out and redo, but is now saying that this uneven clumping of pebbles in normal.

View attachment 85117
This is aqua cool, we just got our plaster aqua cool and it looks a bit brown

Hi Msaeed! Your color looks great (to me:), wonderful choice in edge tile.

The appearance of the color/plaster changes dramatically depending on the depth of the water. I recall making the final choice of Aqua Cool considering what the water color would look like not only in 3-6' of water but also on our first step.

I taught color perception in college to my photography and design students ... consider that if the shallowest step is appearing to have a warmer hue, it very well may be your eyes/brain messing with you because of the steps close proximity to bluish color of deeper areas.

OH, I believe Aqua Cool does have some warmer pebbles mixed in with the black, blue and grey pebbles.

– York

IMG_6579.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. We are getting Aqua cool mini with demo starting tomorrow. Have any more pics to share of the pool? Want to show the wife as she is a bit unsure still.

I m on day 2 of the pool filling with water and I got this big spot in the deep end. The pool was acid washed and rinsed. I hoping it comes out or blends in and I don't need to empty the pool and chip it out. I'm wondering what caused the large spot in the deepend. Have tropics blue mini pebble.

Attachments

• 20211207_072205.jpg
    20211207_072205.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 58

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.