Pool won't hold Chlorine

Sep 21, 2017
McHenry, IL
My pool chlorine level dropped to zero all of a sudden. Last week I added a gallon of liquid shock the level was a little low. It brought it up. I had the water retested this past Tuesday and the FC was 0 and the total chlorine was .3 and the water was a little cloudy. this seems to have happened all of a sudden. I added 1 gal of liquid shock this Tuesday and tested the water with a test strip which didn't show any chlorine. So I put 2 lbs of burnout 73 and had the water tested today at the pool store. My levels are as follows

FC .2
total chlorine 1.2
CYA 150
PH 7.1
Alkalinity 128
TDS 910

the guy at he pool store tested for ammonia and said my water tested positive for it and recommended get rid of it. My husband believes the chlorine issue is an algae problem since the bottom of the pool has a lot of what looks like dirt. He says he believes it dead algae and wants to just add more shock to get the shock level up to kill it. What do I do, add the revive to kiss ammonia or do shock as it almost seems more of an algae issue?

Janet, welcome to TFP :handwave:

First off, you do realize the chlorine is a consumable item in pools, right? You have to add it (somehow) just about daily. The sun takes its own toll on chlorine and burns some off, and swimmers use up more of it.... so unless you have enough in the water and have it buffered with CYA it will be gone in a day or so.

So how are you testing the water? If its only from a pool store... Eeeeck! We don't trust pool store tests. If you took the same sample of water to three different pool stores you'd come up with three different read outs. Which one will you trust??

We trust only two test kits on the market- The TF-100 and the Taylor 2006C. When you have one of those (I highly rec the TF-100) we know we are all speaking the same language and the tests are run the same way. These test kits can be purchased from: Poolsupplyworld.com or TFtestkits.net or Amazon. The TF-100 is the best buy at $70, and it will last probably two years and the replacement reagents are easy to order.

We need current test numbers-
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

How do you normally chlorinate the water? Describe your pool and equipment for us please. Have you read any of Pool School yet??

While you wait for your test kit to come, add a gallon of bleach each day and brush daily. This will hold things "in check" while you wait on the test kit.

Maddie :flower:

I have a 20,000 gallon inground pool with a chlorinater that I keep tablets in regularly. We've never had an issue this whole summer with the chlorine levels dropping to zero. The numbers I provided above are from today. Also, it's a vinyl liner pool.

I have a 20,000 gallon inground pool with a chlorinater that I keep tablets in regularly. We've never had an issue this whole summer with the chlorine levels dropping to zero. The numbers I provided above are from today. Also, it's a vinyl liner pool.

im willing to bet your CYA is well over 100, and that's why you can't hold chlorine. I too had a tablet feeder, along with sky high CYA as a result of using tabs for 4 months. You need a good CYA test, and at least a partial drain/refill. My chlorine was dropping to zero daily until I quit the tabs, did a drain/refill, and found the TFP method. Stock up on bleach and ditch those tabs!

It's all up to you... Do you want to continue blowing money at the pool store or do you want to take control of YOUR pool and YOUR money?

We will get you through this, but only if you are willing to learn and follow all the great advice here. Step 1 is buying that TF 100 test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.