TF-100 test kit

jingo6390

Bronze Supporter
Sep 13, 2017
Tucson
I just received my TF-100 and performed my first tests this morning. It's a very nice kit overall. I just have a couple of minor issues. The 8 oz. bottle of R-0013 (CYA reagent) has one of those caps that you press on one side and it opens on the other side. That cap makes it difficult to pour into the CYA mixing bottle without spilling, at least for a shaky old guy like me. I would prefer a cap like all the other reagent bottles. Also the R-0010 bottle is only 1/2 oz. and you have to use 10 drops for every CH test. I think that bottle is under sized compared to the other bottles in the kit.

I just received my TF-100 and performed my first tests this morning. It's a very nice kit overall. I just have a couple of minor issues. The 8 oz. bottle of R-0013 (CYA reagent) has one of those caps that you press on one side and it opens on the other side. That cap makes it difficult to pour into the CYA mixing bottle without spilling, at least for a shaky old guy like me. I would prefer a cap like all the other reagent bottles. Also the R-0010 bottle is only 1/2 oz. and you have to use 10 drops for every CH test. I think that bottle is under sized compared to the other bottles in the kit.

Great job getting this test kit. I would agree with both of your comments. I've use an oral syringe (available for free at most pharmacies) to measure out equal portions of the R-0013 and pool water. I like that better than pouring up to the label lines. The ratio of R-0010 is a bit undersized. You would think the dye would be the smaller bottle. Fortunately, you shouldn't have to perform the CH test too often and the amount provided should get you through a season.

Teal has it right. I only test CH about once a week/every other week and the provided bottle of R-0010 is more than enough to last me the entire year, after which I buy all new reagents anyways to keep them fresh.

You definitely don't need to do all of the tests every day.

My regimen is:
Daily: FC (FAS/DPD - 5ml sample size - I have never been satisfied with the cheapy FC color tests, and I run a 50-60 CYA due to the AZ sun - requiring higher FC levels), pH
Weekly: FC (FAS/DPD -10ml sample size), CC, pH, TA, CH
Monthly: Same as weekly, except add the CYA test

Using that schedule, a set of reagents lasts me about a full year - bearing in mind that I don't close the pool. In the winter, daily testing goes to every other day or so due to very slow chlorine burnoff.

pH (I do a 5ml FAS/DPD every day because I have never been satisfied with the cheapy FC color tests,

I don't believe the TF-100 has this test, what do you use?

The pH test uses the comparator block and R-0014

The FAS/DPD test is for FC and is part of the TF-100. It uses the R-0870 powder, R-0871 drops (and R-0003 drops for CC)

The pH test uses the comparator block and R-0014

The FAS/DPD test is for FC and is part of the TF-100. It uses the R-0870 powder, R-0871 drops (and R-0003 drops for CC)

Yes, I have done both of these many times, I was just hoping you were referring to some drop PH test that I had never heard of, which as far as I know doesn't exist.

The reagent R-0010 is one of the more expensive reagents. Each ml of the 15 ml bottle is roughly equal to 24 drops so 24x15 = 360 drops (or 36 tests).

CH is a very stable component and I would suggest testing no more than twice monthly. That results in 18 months worth of testing or roughly at least two swim seasons.

The 1/2 (15ml) ounce bottle was chosen to hold down kit cost and yet be mindful of adequate testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hey! Thanks for the business and feedback about the TF-100 test kit. I do pretty well with the squeeze bottle of R-0013. You can squeeze the R-0013 into the plain graduated cylinder that comes with the kit and then pour that into the mixing bottle. That is also a good way to measure equal parts of R-0013 and pool water. The ratio is 50/50, so you can pour 15 ml CYA reagent and then 15 ml pool water. I believe Duraleigh answered you R-0010 concern. As I have a vinyl pool, I rarely test for CH, so the 15 ml bottle is more than enough for me

R-0010 is certainly one of the more expensive reagents and, thanks to this website, I have found a very affordable supplier, Amato Industries. I buy it in the 3/4 ounce Taylor Factory packaging for $2.98. The reagent is very stable and I know from personal experience that it will last at least 3 seasons.

I do pretty well with the squeeze bottle of R-0013. You can squeeze the R-0013 into the plain graduated cylinder that comes with the kit and then pour that into the mixing bottle. That is also a good way to measure equal parts of R-0013 and pool water. The ratio is 50/50, so you can pour 15 ml CYA reagent and then 15 ml pool water.

Thanks for the tip, I will do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.